September 9, 2024

Give thanks in everything

 


It is easy enough to give thanks for whatever gives me joy. I could fill this page with examples and have answered prayer near the top of the list. But what about those things that are frustrating — like a computer problem, or no sign of spiritual growth in those I’m praying for, or a hot day filled with smoke from a wildfire? And even as I write this, I’m thinking that today might be another test. Last week God tested me about grumbling over the little things. Will this week be a test of giving thanks in everything?
And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. Be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies. Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil. (1 Thessalonians 5:12–22)
This passage about being thankful is a package. The command from God is given more description by the words around it. That is, be thankful and esteem those over me in the Lord and who admonish me. Yesterday’s sermon was admonishment. I didn’t like some of it. I’m more motivated by the wonder of God than a call to do this or that as part of my response. Here, Jesus is telling me to be thankful — even though I have been thinking otherwise.

Instead of having a negative attitude toward that sermon, I’m supposed to warn the unruly. Mmmm. Do I even know any who are unruly? I ought to look in the mirror for the answer to that!

I’m also to comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, and be patient with all. This certainly suggests to be thankful that God entrusts me to do that, even though it often comes across as a rebuke, more like “if you are so strong, then take care of those who are not, with patience and with thanksgiving that you are in that place.” This makes me think that when I suppose I am stronger than others, such vanity actually puts me in a lower place. Thanksgiving is designed to level the field, not draw me into a spirit of judging others. If God shows me anyone who is genuinely struggling, then I’m to humbly care for them, not think I am better than they are. Rebuke.

The next line about not being evil is strong, yet evil can be subtle, like boasting or responding to someone sharing a problem with, “I’ve never had that problem” making them feel even more alone. Evil is not always an unjust and wicked act. People can make me feel useless and unloved with a thoughtless remark indicating I can do the same to them. Being thankful cures that subtle way of harming another person.

What is good for everyone if not hearing a thankful heart expressing the goodness of God? The joy of the Lord comes out, not joy that circumstances are the best ever, but joy that Jesus is the best ever. It puts my focus on Him and His goodness, and in being thankful for Him, the focus of others is shifted too.

The Holy Spirit tells me what I should say — I just need to listen and say it. All prophecies are expressed as a done deal. How thankful I should be that God will do what He says, and how evil it is to think that His will is going to be anything but good. Again, the right attitude is a blessing, to God, to me, and to anyone who hears me being thankful.

PRAY: Jesus, You give many reasons that I should give thanks, and even on those days when all seems contrary, I can be thankful that You are in this mess with me and giving me joy anyway. I’m so thankful that You do what You do — and with a great deal of patience to teach me to just be thankful in everything as this is certainly Your will for me.


No comments: