September 8, 2024

Faith is… Faith fights

Being an optimist or a pessimist cannot be a way to define my faith. The presence or absence of trials should not either. Faith isn’t based on victories or defeats, no more than it is based on feelings or whether the sun is shining or not. Faith isn’t about trying harder either. Nor is it about how quick God answers prayers or even that He does answer prayer. Instead, faith is based on the character and attributes of God. Because He is who He is, I trust Him.

This means knowing Him. He reveals Himself in several ways, mostly through His Word and through the Person and work of Jesus Christ, but sometimes in dreams, visions, even in the events of life. “I spy God” is not a game but an incredible way to live.

Yet the enemy of our souls is a liar who wants me to think that God does not exist, that He does not want the best for me, that He does not hear or answer my prayers, that He is too busy or absent, with all sorts of suggestions and innuendo that challenges faith. For this, the Bible tells me:

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints…. (Ephesians 6:10–18)
The battle is not against people. That is another of Satan’s lies. He urges conflict to take my focus off Jesus and be upset with others, producing arguing or resentment or gossip or anything that reflects lack of love and division. But God tells me the real source of such things, the enemy delighting to mess with love and unity.

The battle is not a shouting match either. Lies can only be countered with truth, not force, determination, or trying harder. Instead, this battle requires knowing what God says so that I recognizes and puts all lies in their place. For that, I need to be in God’s Word every day, remembering what He says when those lies are flung at me.

The battle is not my efforts to be a good person. Instead, I must wear the righteousness of Jesus Christ. He makes me a winner; I cannot do it without Him. Nor can I win if I forget the basic truth of the Gospel — Jesus saves me, not anything I can do gives victory over sin, only what Jesus has done. It is total faith in Him that vanquishes out the lies, faith that says I am saved, now and forever. Faith that knows God’s grace and power and is expressed in prayer that is prompted and led by the Holy Spirit, not by a whole list of my I-wants. Not that God ignores what I think or want, but Holy Spirit prayer is not focused on whatever makes me happy or comfortable but on the will of God. I cannot know His will if I’m set on having my own way.

So the war is fought with truth spoken in prayer, truth about who God is, truth about who I am in Christ, truth about His plan for this world and for those who live in it. He gives that truth in His Word and sometimes shows it in actions that shock and delight, not just answers to prayer, but unexpected events and blessings that are above and beyond anything I’ve thought or imagined.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, You are so amazing, a Warrior that fights for me and with me. You want me to know when the enemy is at work, but more than that, You want me to strike back and put out the fire of his lies — designed to defeat me yet You come alongside to remind me that You have already defeated him and I am safe in Your love and care. Thank You, thank You, thank You.


No comments: