September 14, 2024

God is in Everything

A couple of days ago, I found the above quote and it comes to mind often. Yesterday involved a lot of driving and time with someone who does not speak much English. However, meeting another friend who is fluent in her language was a delight for the three of us. I had no idea what they talked about, but the joy on their faces was a God-thing.

Arriving home and finding God in decisions we were making and giving us ideas through others who ‘happened’ to know this or that was more of that God-thing. Seeing Him in little things makes a difference in personal choices, and the way we think about life.

Today’s reading says, “Nothing but seeing God in everything will make us loving and patient with those who annoy and trouble us. They will be to us then only the instruments for accomplishing His tender and wise purposes toward us, and we will even find ourselves inwardly thanking them for the blessings they bring.”

While the reading goes on to link this idea as a deterrent to sin and complaining, I’m not sure that happens for everyone. Some may think that His presence means He is sternly watching all actions so they better behave rather than make Him scowl. Instead, seeing Him in all things ought to help us  realize His goodness and care. For me, it makes a difference in how I view life's extremes.

All things includes good and not so good. The flesh loves to take some credit for the good as if we made it happen or made right choices. The flesh also complains when things are not so comfortable and can even rail against it, totally forgetting that God is sovereign and has a loving and good reason for allowing any trials. Seeing Him in both extremes and everything in between produces praise and thanksgiving. It helps me to look for that good in trials and makes life a delightful adventure rather than a series of ups and downs.

Today’s reading also says I can believe God is faithful and wants good for me, not because I feel it or see it but because He says He is. This means faith enables the ability to see Him because faith is rewarded that way as my relationship with Him is deepened. He enables me to ‘just know’ that good things are happening, even before seeing or experiencing the results from trials. The Bible says that my faith forms the direction of my life. I know that doubt can prevent me from seeing His goodness, and doubt can be an inlet for all sorts of negativity, but faith enables the Holy Spirit to flood life with His fruit and when I’m filled with the Spirit, it is easy to see God in everything.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. (Galatians 5:22–26)
The flesh is the source of pride, conceit, being annoyed with others or jealous of them. The Spirit is the source of what I really want: love, joy and all of the above. And the Spirit makes God visible to my heart.

PRAY: Jesus, I’m seeing so many of Your children who haven’t realized their battle with sin requires faith but also confession of doubt and fleshy living as being a huge part of redemption. Forgive the pride and send light into those who so badly need to see, not only this reality but the reality of You in all things. Keep me here. I love to see You in all things — and You making sense of the ups and downs of life.


No comments: