February 12, 2024

Modern Pharisees



Current thinking can be confusing. Some say there is no God; others are fully convinced. They cannot both be true beliefs BUT current thinking says, ‘What is true for you is not true for me.’ For many, truth has become a matter of opinion.

Christians can struggle with this same way of defining truth. Sometimes our differing interpretations cause divisions if we don’t dig deep enough to determine what biblical passages really say or mean. Failing to rightly understand Scripture can result in mild disagreement, or vigorous discussion, or church splits, and even be at the root of cults being formed.

Another issue is the concept of “rhema” where the term used for “word of God” means the Holy Spirit is using a passage to speak to the need of the moment. For instance, I may have read a verse many times about God’s abiding presence but during a period of loneliness, it felt like God was giving me a hug with that verse.

God also gives His people individual instructions. One NT incident is when the Spirit sent Paul and Barnabas to Seleucia (Acts 13) but forbid them to go to Asia and Bithynia. (Acts 16).

This reminds me of a former pastor who announced he was leaving the ministry. Our church was confused and trying to come up with a reason for his decision. Did someone treat him badly? The confusion was filled with opinions based on experiences people could relate to, so finally I decided to ask him why he decided to resign. He listened to my question and concerns, then slapped his desk and said, “None of that applies. I am doing this because the Lord told me to do it.”

Does this mean that truth for one person differs from truth for others? In God’s leading and personal ministry it might — but not every pastor is told to resign. Whatever I hear, I need to make sure it fits with Scripture. I knew of a woman who thought God told her to divorce her husband for another man. That does not line up with the Bible.

During Christ’s time, there were religious leaders who measured truth by their interpretation of OT laws. If a law was not understood, they added another one to supposedly clarify it. This resulted in hundreds of regulations that nobody could possibly obey. These Pharisees vehemently opposed the teaching of Jesus. He was concerned with the human heart and being motivated by the Holy Spirit. They were more into outward appearance and impressing people. When Jesus claimed, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6) He even  confused the disciples. Do we humans like rules? Are they easier to follow than listening to the heart of God and studying His Word?
We are saved by faith and are told to walk by faith. The Word guides us with truth requiring faith especially when God tells us to do something that makes no sense.

Consider Abraham. God told him to go to a land He would show him. The man set out without a clue about his destination but trusting God. Later, God told him to sacrifice his son. How would I interpret that command from God had I been Abraham or Isaac? What did that boy think as his dad tied him to the altar and raised his knife? Was there a “rule” that would make this command even palatable, never mind true?

This matter of rules can also be challenging when God puts His people in situations that call for us to follow Jesus even if others misunderstand the heart of His request. Some think we are breaking the rules when we show kindness to sinners — because it might look like we are approving their sin. Some suppose we are breaking the rules when we do things contrary to their personal comfort level. Bring like  Jesus can make us targets instead of examples.

This should not happen but it does. Instead of “loving one another” in the Spirit, judgment and criticism threatens our unity and fellowship and mars our witness to a needy world who need to see the grace of God rather than the ugliness of living by rules and self-righteousness.

PRAY: Oh Lord, You tell me to walk in the Spirit even though much of the world resists You and are convinced that their rules are better. I too can slide into that “I am right” attitude when it seems more comfortable than doing what You ask — especially when Your commands to me are going to upset or challenge the person sitting next to me at church. I’m encouraged by these words:
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:31–11:1)
May my only rule say this: Be like Jesus.


No comments: