February 27, 2024

All for Jesus means all…


Christian living is like a train. Facts about God and His will lead me, faith follows those facts and feelings are pulled by faith.

The Holy Spirit is the center of my spirit with intellect, emotions, and volition acting according to that core. This means I do not dump those three things but yield them to the Spirit. Then my actions follow coming out of what the Spirit is telling me rather than from what I want, or feel.  

However the Christian life is described, all parts should be listening to God and doing what He says, willingly, and with emotions and whatever brain power I have. Faith is telling me that the will of God is true, correct and factual in every way.

This mean that “not my will but thine be done” is not about giving up my will but yielding it to God’s will. It also means that…
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. (Proverbs 3:5–7)
…does not mean I give up using my brain, but that I yield my ideas and understanding to the engine that pulls the train. In other words, be aware of the lies about God that get presented to me by the world, the flesh, and that old liar, the devil. Instead, use my will to cooperate with God’s truth.

The people of God are not meant to become empty of will power, to be left poor, flabby, nerveless creatures who have no will, and are brainless and governed by our emotions. We are meant to rely on the will of God rather than our own sinfully misdirected will. My will needs to yield to and be obedient to God’s will.

The same is true for intellect and for those with a high IQ. Giving it over to the Lord is just as challenging as giving up our will or anything else that a person might rely on. This is why God says…
For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:26–31)
Just as the will must be yielded and determined to seek and obey the will of God, so must everything else, not just my thinking and feelings, but any strengths that I may have. There is no shame in weakness for it makes this obedience a little easier. So also do verses like these:
Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. (James 3:13–18)
Paul gladly boasted in his weakness because the power of Christ was his strength. This is an important truth to learn and follow rather than wanting to be a big shot without Him.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, You are my strength, sometimes surprising me and yet realizing I cannot boast, only in You. Anything good comes from You, and I am so thankful that You persist in teaching me that my own strengths are useless unless they are totally yielded to You.


No comments: