February 11, 2024

Getting in Sync with God

 



This morning my Fitbit stopped working, or sometime yesterday. I use it to hold me accountable to walk 7000 steps a day, but who wants to count them? So I went online to discover that my tracker is no longer syncing with its account. Apparently there is an upgrade that has not been downloaded and the tracker simply quit.

Funny how nearly everything that happens has a spiritual connection. I thought of how needful it is to be filled with the Holy Spirit and not rely on my own devices or strength. To do that, I must be in sync with the Lord. That is, if I am resisting God, I cannot resist the devil or temptation at the same time.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)
This idea of not being able to serve or yield to God and the enemy at the same time applies also to other things such as money and worldly pleasures.
No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money. (Luke 16:13)

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. (1 John 2:15–16)

But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. (Galatians 5:16–17)
This principle not only applies to my relationship with God; it affects every part of life. I cannot pray without guarding against distractions that ruin all conversation with God. I cannot try to figure out problems His way unless my focus is on His way. This matter of yielding to God and making Him the center of my life goes even farther:
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:31–33)
Eating and drinking are normal activities of life and yet not to be separated from worship or my witness to God’s glory. In the same line, seeking His glory is connected to pleasing others in an effort to win them to Jesus. Being in sync with God is not only required, it is required no matter what I am doing.

PRAY: Jesus, there are days where my mind is all over the place. To be in sync with You, I need Your Spirit and Your power. Such vivid focus is totally beyond my ability. That is the why for being yielded to You and filled with the Holy Spirit all the time, but it is also the only way to do Your will and live for You. Keep me in sync today. I’m not sure I’ll get that Fitbit working properly, but I know that You can do what needs to be done that I can worship and serve You and others as You want me to.


No comments: