February 9, 2024

Can I will myself to believe?

 



Today’s devotional presents a theological position that I’m not sure I agree with. Years ago I read many books by Watchman Nee. In part, my take-away was that humans are body, soul, and spirit. Body is the physical, soul is intellect, emotion and volition, and spirit is the inner person that is able to connect with God, know sin, and be aware of spiritual matters — but only if the spirit is made alive by God through faith in Jesus Christ. Otherwise, the spirit is dead to (separated from) God because of sin.

Nee illustrated this in concentric circles with the visible body on the outer ring,  the soul next, and the spirit in the very center. He said we are to live by a renewed spirit that listens to and obeys God, not merely by our reasoning, emotions or will. However, he also taught that the soul when under the influence of a new spirit, is made new also. We just need to learn how to live according to the spirit and not allow the desires of the old nature (body and soul)  take the place of God’s Spirit speaking to our spirit.
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever. (1 John 2:15–17)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. (Proverbs 3:5–7)
And when he came to the place, he said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, saying, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22:40–42)
Scripture indicates that I should not be relying on my own ideas, emotions and desires, or even my will when it comes to following Christ. Not that He cannot use these faculties, but that the impetus or motivation comes from His Spirit to my spirit.
This means I should not reverse this order. That is, when I get an idea the Word of God will tell me where it comes from. Jesus said that “If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.” (John 7:17) The source of what I hear is important. My thinking needs to agree with the will of God, meaning that obedience is not only about choice or volition, but also about study and using my brains to know God’s will so I can recognize where that idea comes from.
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. (Hebrews 4:12–13)
Sometimes I realize the brain wave is fleshy (from my old nature) by recognizing who will get the glory, but not always. Sin and self-centered or soulish life can subtle. I need the Bible to discern my intentions and to show me whether Jesus is honored by my actions or I just want to be put on a pedestal.

Faith can be influenced by my will, but why I need to be careful about “believing by choosing to believe.” The Bible says faith comes by hearing (Romans 10) and is a gift from God, yet being willing to hear fits in there also. God wants all my “parts” surrendered to Him.
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

PRAY: Jesus, I remember the moment when You came to me and opened my heart to know who You are and what You did at Calvary. Hearing You speak was a stupendous revelation to a weary and broken heart whose soul had no answers, no joy, and was unwilling and unable to make things better. But You, in an instant changed all that by choosing me — as You said, “You did not choose me, but I chose you…” (John 15:16) and then put Your Spirit on the throne of my life.
 

No comments: