February 26, 2024

Muscle building means …

 


My hubby says golf is a muscle memory game. Other sports are described that way, but yesterday’s sermon came close to using the same terminology. Our pastor described faith in three ways: what we tell others we believe, what we tell ourselves we believe, and how our beliefs show up in the way we live. He said some say they believe (public belief), or  think what they believe (private belief) but true faith is belief in action (core belief).

I’m not sure about these terms, but I get what he was saying. There are people who trust Jesus and their lives show it, and that is core belief that the Bible describes. Faith is not merely knowing and agreeing that something is true or real. Even the demons believe in that sense, but their ‘faith’ does not affect their response to God. Our pastor pointed out that our lives reveal what we trust.
And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? (Mark 8:34–36)
Jesus describes faith as submission to the will of God. My devotional author is convinced that all our struggles to do that would disappear if we could see clearly that His will is good. We struggle and struggle in vain to submit to a will that we do not believe to be good, but when we see that it is good, we submit to it with delight. I get that. If I really believe God is good and His will is perfect, I want it to be accomplished.

Christians sometimes say that faith needs to move from the head to the heart. This is moving from thinking it verbally to really believing but it would be more accurate to say faith needs to move from the head (or heart) to the muscles! It helps to realize how God makes this happen and then cooperate  with the process.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
According to the Bible, it happens by mind renewal (a new way of thinking that is contrary to worldly thinking) and by testing that way of thinking — or simply trying it out, another way of saying ‘find out what God says, then obey what He says’ and then I will know that God’s will is good, acceptable, and perfect.

Trying it involves choosing. I heard God say ‘Do the right thing’ all day Saturday and Sunday and each time it involved two options. I’ve done enough Bible study to know which of the two was right and that the other choice was ‘my way’ instead of God’s. While understanding the best choice is not always the case, this time it made it easier to choose the will of God.

If the choice is sin or obedience, that one is easy to discern too, but if the choice is between good and best, then it often more difficult. Knowing the Word of God is a big help.
For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)
God, who knows all things and knows me better than I know myself, is able to use His Word to reveal my intentions. He did that Friday night in a discussion of jealousy and I realized this truth:  when I feel threatened by what someone else has or can do, that emotion is jealousy. It can be good if it is protective of my marriage, or my relationship with God, but sinful if it involves feeling threatened by someone who has more or does better than I do and I want what they have or can do.

PRAY: Lord, You persist in these lessons about trusting You and I am glad. You want me to have a soft heart when options appear, not harden my heart against Your will. You want me to do the right thing and confess any areas where I always go my own way. You also want me to listen for Your voice because You do speak and I cannot hide from You or even try to hide. You love me no matter what, and Your will is perfect. Why resist it? How wise to pay attention and do what You say, wanting Your will to be done in my life, no matter what it is!


No comments: