February 28, 2024

From the Heart

 


I’ve been in two hospitals is the past few years. In the first, the staff were professional and did all they should do, yet I still felt like a number rather than a person in need. The second was entirely the opposite.  The staff did all they should do, but it was ‘kindness from the heart’ — and the difference was obvious. Now I better understand the power of obedience from the heart.
Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man. (Ephesians 6:5–7)
I recovered quickly, surprising the doctor. I credited the Lord who heals and the prayers of my Christian friends, but now I also credit the hospital staff who were doing the will of God from the heart. It was a “faith-based hospital” and those caregivers know how to serve the Lord.

“Doing the will of God from the heart” is the only way of doing His will. Some servers are trained in the correct way to do their job, but I see now that those who have surrendered their will to God are the only ones capable of doing anything “from the heart.” As today’s devotional say, this is the essence of true virtue. It is not about the state of our emotions nor  the greatness of our illuminations nor the multitude of our good works. It is about being surrendered to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to direct and empower us in what we do.

This morning as I tidied up the kitchen and looked forward to devotions and the morning, the phone rang. My hubby had to take his vehicle to the dealer for servicing and it needed to stay there the rest of the day. Instead of getting a loaner vehicle, he wanted me to pick him up. I’ve been hearing God say, “Do the right thing” and knew my plans were not it. I was unsure how this could be a blessing, but have realized that doing the will of God is always right. I was given time to spend here with my Bible and God, but outside it was near -20C, windy with lots of blowing snow. Do the right thing.

And ignore my emotions. I love time alone with Jesus. Isn’t that what Jesus told Mary was the best thing?
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38–42)
Hubby knows this. At the same time, God is telling me that I am always ‘with Him’ — always listening to Him, and this time He is telling me to worship and then go — do as my husband asks and pay no attention to my I wants or the weather. He will bless this obedience. Submit to Him and He will take care of the rest of my day. After all, this may take only an hour out of it.

PRAY: Jesus, You are so practical. This may not seem like a big deal. I know some women who would say, ‘Call a taxi’ or belly-ache about going out on such a miserable cold and snowy day, but You tell me not only to do this but do it from the heart. With the Holy Spirit I know that I can. Thank You.



No comments: