February 23, 2024

Facing Giants

 
Planning a family reunion that could involve up to a hundred people from various parts of the world is for me a huge task. I’ve felt like David facing Goliath at times, but the Spirit would not let me give up. I went searching for help and several volunteered, some that I did not expect, even one that his mother told me he would never come. These have become the stones in my sling when I began this task. Having never done anything close to it, I’ve felt small and unable — which is a good way to feel when taking on anything. The Lord keeps saying to me:
“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
This week, one of those ‘stones’ that volunteered showed me the faithfulness of God. In trying to trust Him, I’ve struggled, but with a cousin’s cheerful help, my feeble faith is being strengthened. We have not totally slaughter that huge task, but the plans made it seem less threatening.

Today I read of David’s attitude toward the giant that he faced. He talked to King Saul this way:
Your servant used to keep sheep for his father. And when there came a lion, or a bear, and took a lamb from the flock, I went after him and struck him and delivered it out of his mouth. And if he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him. Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God. (1 Samuel 17:34–36)
Through faith in God David conquered a lion and a bear, and afterwards overthrew the mighty Goliath. When that lion came to take out sheep from his flock, David considered it as an opportunity. If he had failed or faltered he would have missed this and other challenges and may never have come to be God’s chosen king of Israel.

Most of us do not consider the lions or giants that come into our lives are a special blessing from God. They seem more like enemies, threats, and at least an occasion for alarm. However, in David’s case, that threat was an opportunity from God in disguise. I know that every difficulty that presents itself to me, if I receive it in the right way, is God’s opportunity, even every temptation as well.

One writer reminds me that the OT tabernacle of God was covered with badgers’ skins and goats’ hair. This did not suggest there would be any glory in that place, but the Shekinah of God was manifest under that crude, even ugly covering. I need God to open my eyes to see Him, whether in temptations, trials, dangers, or misfortunes, or in huge responsibilities that I cannot do all by myself as mere coverings for God’s glory.

I also realized as we planned that not everyone will appreciate our efforts or even show up to this event. Another writer reminded me of Paul’s idea of service putting it like this: “I will spend myself to the last ebb for you; you may give me praise or give me blame, it will make no difference. So long as there is a human being who does not know Jesus Christ, I am his debtor to serve him until he does.”
Paul’s service is not love for men, but love for Jesus Christ. If I am devoted to the cause of humanity, I will be disappointed because so many are never grateful for anything. Yet if my motive is to demonstrate my love for God, no ingratitude can hinder me from serving others.

This writer even said, “I was before a perjurer, a blasphemer, an injurious person” — and that is true for me too. No matter how others may treat me, they will never treat me the way I once totally ignored Jesus. He serves me even in my selfishness and sin. With His attitude, nothing others do can change my determination to do whatever is required in serving people.

PRAY: Jesus, I realize a tiny bit of what is needed to bravely serve others in Your name is a big dose of Your great love. Open my heart to do this with grace and great faith in Your ability to use it to bring glory to Your name. Enable me to overcome all anxieties about responses or lack of responses and trust You to make of this family reunion a blessing both to You and to those who arrive and participate.


No comments: