February 25, 2024

Willing?


 
A British statesman and Conservative politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom was criticized for his policies and replied: “Gentlemen, get larger maps.”

I get that. Yesterday God clearly told me to do the right thing, and the decisions made to obey Him produced what Jesus calls “abundant” life — clearly better in comparison to what it would have been had I selected my options.

Today’s devotional says something similar. An abundant life in Christ is not about using my  talents, doing great deeds, having fervent emotions, or being given wonderful revelations. It is simply to want what God wants and do what He says. Stop waiting for some grand experience or feeling, just listen to the indwelling Holy Spirit and follow His directions. These are simple truths, learned early yet it seems to take me years to consistently do life His way. I am a most stubborn saved sinner.

God’s plan is to transform me into the image of Christ. His glory was having His will set to do the will of His Father. When faced with His own “Do the right thing” He replied, “Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done.” (Luke 22:42)

Even though Jesus makes a distinction between His human will and the Father’s will, God does not leave me to “do the right thing” by the power of my human will. He says;
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12–13)
Now may the God of peace . . . equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in us that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen. (Hebrews 13:20–21)
How does He do this? That is not a short answer. The reality is that He does do it. Paul knew that:
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. (1 Corinthians 15:10)
God’s grace is shown in His love and when loved like He loves, doing His will is a delight — not because my life is godly but because His love shows me that His will is best. Even when what He wants seems unpleasant to me, satisfying Him gives me delight — and that is what makes life abundant.

His love is not the same as human love, which expects a return. God loved me while I was a sinner and He had no return whatsoever. The NT expresses it like this:
I will most gladly spend and be spent for your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less? (2 Corinthians 12:15)
Essentially, the writer was saying, ‘I do not care whether you love me or not, I am willing to destitute myself completely, not merely for your sakes, but that I may get you to God.’ He reflects God’s love…
“For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor.” (2 Corinthians 8:9)
This love is tied to obedience for it produces a glad willingness to do what God asks. It may mean household chores, calling a shut-in, giving finances, sitting with a senior, and doing everything without asking why or being concerned about what’s in it for me. Obedience without reserve.

PRAY: Jesus, You speak to me continually about making right choices and following through with obedience. You know I have days of feeling useless, or filled with fatigue, or just wanting to do nothing. May grace and love motivate me to pay close attention; not only listening with obedience but  doing Your will from the heart and with great joy.


No comments: