May 20, 2020

That Dratted Green-eyed Monster!

Numbers 29; Psalm 73; Isaiah 21; 2 Peter 2

I’ve often spoke against the ambition common in our culture that seeks “bigger, better, more” as an impossible and foolish value system. It is not self-sustaining. Eventually it hits the wall and those who feel this is important for success must stop and reset. I’m also thinking this pandemic has been part of that reset, unwanted but important.

Yet there is something in the human heart that likes the idea of unlimited success and prosperity. Otherwise there would be no envy or covetousness concerning those more well off and the psalmist would never have written . . .
Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled, my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. (Psalm 73:1–3)
Purity of heart seemed not enough. He saw the success of those without it and wanted that too. He also wanted their seemingly carefree lives, doing as they wished and not caring about God’s opinion. The psalmist wondered if keeping his life clean and enduring spiritual growth through trials was worth it. In verse 16, he says that these thoughts were wearing him out.

I get it. I know people who seem to be successful in what they do but without any concern for purity of heart before God. They are driven by selfish ambition and bigger, better, more. The worst is that when I am around them, I feel the tug of that value system. I’d like to be ‘somebody’ in my efforts rather than a person who is “poor in spirit” and useless without Christ.

The psalmist was helped when he entered the sanctuary of God and considered the eternal outcome of those he envied:
But when I thought how to understand this, it seemed to me a wearisome task, until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I discerned their end. Truly you set them in slippery places; you make them fall to ruin. How they are destroyed in a moment, swept away utterly by terrors! Like a dream when one awakes, O Lord, when you rouse yourself, you despise them as phantoms. (Psalm 73:16–20)
He also realized that his attitude of envy toward these people was harmful to his relationship with God: “When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you.” (Psalm 73:21–22)

Yet he realized the amazing difference between his life and that of those he envied:
Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For behold, those who are far from you shall perish; you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you. But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all your works. (Psalm 73:23–28)
I’m thinking of those I envy, but not comforted to think about their demise. I’d rather see them become believers in Jesus Christ and live forever. Besides, I’m supposed to love my enemies, not be glad that they will perish.

Instead, God speaks to me about the problem I have with wanting to get into the bigger, better, more race and defeat them and how my attitude of competitiveness comes out by their boasting or their success. This must be confessed and forsaken. God will deal with them as He sees fit, but this is not about them but my sneaky desire to live for my glory. I cannot be a person who impresses my world and at the same time live for the glory of God.

Jesus tells me:
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust . . . . You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:43–45; 48)
APPLY: God is good to all and my spiritual growth is important to Him. I’m to love and pray for those I envy. They are not persecuting me; but Jesus is loving me. My flesh will fail at ‘perfection’ and my heart cannot muster up the desire to even try, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. As always, He can save me from myself.


No comments: