May 9, 2020

Being Tested?

Numbers 17–18; Psalm 55; Isaiah 7; James 1

We discussed hypocrisy last night. It is a sin hated by the Lord and most people yet so often committed. Generally, it means trying to convey that I am a better, more devout person than I am. It is wearing a mask of ‘goodness’ to hide my sinfulness. Examples include those who pretend to be honest and cheat on their income tax, or those who pretend to love and worship God but obedience is lacking or they show up before His throne only on Sunday morning but their heart is on the golf course.

Most of the time, my masks are an attempt to impress people. This is nonsense. Since everyone does it, most everyone recognizes this fake behavior in others. No one is impressed. Sometimes I’ve tried to look better than I am because my self view is incorrect. I think I’m stupid or inadequate and try acting as if the opposite is true.

The other extreme of pretending to be what I am not is acting as if I am not what I really am. I am a child of God, precious to Him and graced with His goodness through faith in Jesus Christ. If I am moaning about my weaknesses, I am also being a hypocrite for I have the power of God living in me through the Holy Spirit. To claim to be nothing but a wimp is hypocritical because it is not true either.

This day, I’m thinking about resisted the temptations to fake who I am or deny who I am. These temptations come in a variety of forms and at various times. I’m tempted to boast when another person is boasting. I’m tempted to feel sorry for myself when others speak of their blessings. I’m tempted to say, “I can handle this” when I know that Jesus says without Him, I can do nothing. How then can this child of God face and defeat temptation?

First, I need to recognize it. Read the Bible.

Second, I need to realize that while Satan tempts me to sin, God also tests me at the same time to trust Him. Seeing what both are trying to do is helpful. Who do I want to obey? I also need to stop blaming either one because the temptation or trial is allowed by God to reveal my weaknesses and help my take charge of my decisions. I cannot be tempted if I am “dead to sin” and “alive to God.”
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brothers. (James 1:12–16)
Ask: what is at the root of this? What desire in me is Satan appealing to? How can I endure this without giving in?
Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. (James 1:19–21)
James says slow down and pay attention. Anger or any other emotional reaction is not going to make me righteous any more than faking it will make me righteous. Whatever the temptation appeals to must be addressed by the Word of God and put away, abandoned. The Bible will tell me what to do instead of reacting in anger or other emotions. Find out what it says, but that is not enough.
But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. (James 1:22–25)
Knowing the answer is not enough; I must do it. If I’m tempted and react in anger, but the Word of God tells me to speak softly, then I must speak softly. Tooting my horn about speaking softly doesn’t do it. Mere talk about what I know does not do it. I must sincerely and obediently do what God tells me.

APPLY: This entire page is application. I know the answers from God’s Word — now follow through and do what He says. The temptation will then become a test — and in Christ, I will pass the test.

No comments: