May 2, 2020

The Lord Speaks . . .


Numbers 9; Psalm 45; Song of Songs 7; Hebrews 7

So far, every chapter of Numbers begins with, “The Lord spoke to Moses . . . ” (chapter 7 could have begun a few verses earlier). This reality resonates with me as I praise the faithfulness of God this day.

I’ve been a Christian for half a century and having daily devotions during that time. In the beginning of my walk with Jesus, my sister told me to read the Bible until something stood out as a personal message from God, either new information about Him, a command to obey, a sin to confess, and so on. And every day God has been faithful to speak to me. That is a lot of days, more than 18,000 of them. Add to that the conversations we have in prayer and this makes Him my BFF, best Friend forever.

In the OT wilderness wanderings, God guided His people with a cloud. If it didn’t move, they didn’t move. This went on for forty years:

Whether it was two days, or a month, or a longer time, that the cloud continued over the tabernacle, abiding there, the people of Israel remained in camp and did not set out, but when it lifted they set out. At the command of the Lord they camped, and at the command of the Lord they set out. They kept the charge of the Lord, at the command of the Lord by Moses. (Numbers 9:22–23)

It is for this faithfulness and for many other reasons that I want to praise God. His grace and kindness cannot be measured. He cares for His people with mercy that cannot be measured. For that, “I will cause your name to be remembered in all generations; therefore nations will praise you forever and ever.” (Psalm 45:17)

And then there is Jesus. He died for me. What can I say about that! His sacrifice is my redemption, my freedom from the penalty and power of sin. One day I will walk into glory in the perfection of being like Him, with no more battles, no more sorrows. This is because Jesus is faithful, not just to die for me but to live for me because the Father declared Him to be a priest forever . . .

The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but he holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself. For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever. (Hebrews 7:23–28)

He saves to the uttermost because He lives forever and because He is perfect, a perfect sacrifice for sin and a perfect being who loves me beyond my ability to understand His love.

Yes, today I will rest in the glory of God and in His faithfulness. These truths are not new in the sense of I’ve never heard them before, but new in the sense of a new day, a fresh start, a goodness that does not quit:

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. (Lamentations 3:22–26)

APPLY: When the cloud moved, the people moved. If it did not move, they waited quietly. Today, as I pray and walk with Jesus through the day, I will wait quietly for His instruction and guidance. If He gives none, I will rejoice in His presence. If He says go here or do this, I will rejoice in His faithfulness to be with me and reveal His will for me each day. The ongoing and wonderful faithfulness of God is an amazing and wonderful blessing!

NOTE: For those who asked, we are doing fine in this pandemic. Our provincial premier has made excellent decisions to protect people and people are cooperating with government/medical guidelines for the most part. So far so good. So glad for technology like ZOOM and Messenger to connect with family and friends.


No comments: