May 18, 2020

Aging is not for sissies

Numbers 27; Psalms 70–71; Isaiah 17–18; 1 Peter 5

Several years ago a younger Christian said to me, “It must be easier to be a Christian as you get older.” I wanted to laugh but didn’t. I’ve learned that youth has no idea what it is like to be old.

The psalmist knew. He had enemies that told him his life might as well be over. He wasn’t strong enough to serve God and God had forsaken him. I know that feeling. My spiritual enemy tells me I am useless and too old to do anything in the kingdom of God toward helping His family. The worst attacks come when I’ve had a few days of prayer that seem powerful and in the will of God. I may get hit with multiple temptations, or have horrible dreams, or feel as if God has abandoned me. Spiritual war increases to the point I want to go AWOL. No, being a Christian is not easier as I grow older.
Do not cast me off in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent. For my enemies speak concerning me; those who watch for my life consult together and say, “God has forsaken him; pursue and seize him, for there is none to deliver him.” O God, be not far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! May my accusers be put to shame and consumed; with scorn and disgrace may they be covered who seek my hurt. But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone. O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come. Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you? You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again. (Psalm 71:9–21)
These words tell me I’m not alone in this battle. They also tell me to keep on praising God and sharing with others His wonderful grace and power. Even with trials the Lord gives me victory through all storms of testing. His goodness never fails.

An important truth comes with aging — the reality that I cannot have victory any other way but in Christ Jesus. I’ve been a proud person and the battles of life have taught me that I’ve no reason for arrogance. He tells me . . .
Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:5–11)
Another important truth is that life is not a straight line. It is up and down, high and low, suffering in trials and restoration, uncertainty and confirmation, weakness and strength, helplessness and being established. For me, the intensity increases as I age, including both the ups and the downs. Pride would have me share the victories yet humility insists that I, like Paul, also rejoice in those awful lows:
So to keep me from becoming conceited . . .  a messenger of Satan harasses me, to keep me from becoming conceited. I plead with the Lord about this, but he says, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)
APPLY: Don’t complain. Growing older isn’t easy, yet it means that day when I see Jesus face to face is getting closer.


No comments: