May 7, 2020

Winning virtue

Numbers 15; Psalm 51; Isaiah 5; Hebrews 12

Today’s first thoughts from the Lord are from a prayer written in the fourth century. It asks God to “remove all gloomy thoughts and make us glad with hope that we may effectively aspire to unwon virtues through Jesus Christ our Lord.” This causes me to think about virtues not yet attained and in my life I’m certain there are many.

I see one in David’s psalm of confession. He was called “a man after God’s own heart” (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22), not because he was sinless, but because he felt this way about sin:
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. (Psalm 51:1–4)
David also asked that God restore the joy of his salvation, much like the above prayer asked to be glad with hope. However, verse 13 reveals a virtue that is not yet ‘won’ in my life:
Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. (Psalm 51:13)
I know that some Christians are more gifted in this area than others. I can make all kinds of other excuses, but most of the time I do not share Christ with those outside the faith because I’m a coward. I don’t want to lose relationships or be thought of as a weirdo, and blah, blah, blah. Yet this is clear; to be a person who is ‘after God’s own heart’ means being a person that cares deeply about the eternal destiny of others — because this is what God does.

I cannot make this happen in my own strength. Hebrews 12 is an encouragement to consider the only source of “unwon virtues” . . .
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (Hebrews 12:1–4)
Jesus was never a coward. He faced those who mocked Him with truth and courage. He said what needed to be said to the point that He was put on a cross because of their hostility. This is the Son of God! I cannot die for the sin of the world but because of the love of Christ, I can speak up and tell others about His great love. He died for me; this is the least I can do for Him.

APPLY: Let the hope and joy God gives be effective. Allow His Spirit to motivate me so I will more easily share with others the source of that hope and joy, letting them know that they can have it too.



No comments: