May 5, 2020

Enough milk and honey for all of us . . .


Numbers 12–13; Psalm 49; Isaiah 2; Hebrews 10

Today’s reading in Numbers tells of God’s people at the edge of the land He promised them. Moses sends in twelve “spies” to check it out. They find it truly is a land of milk and honey and brought back one cluster of grapes so heavy two of them had to carry it suspended on a pole between them. But that was not all they carried.

Despite the faithfulness of God in their journey so far, their resolve to trust Him turned to jelly. They focused only on the size of the enemies they must conquer and began to quiver in their sandals.

But Caleb quieted the people before Moses and said, “Let us go up at once and occupy it, for we are well able to overcome it.” Then the men who had gone up with him said, “We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are.” So they brought to the people of Israel a bad report of the land that they had spied out, saying, “The land, through which we have gone to spy it out, is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people that we saw in it are of great height. (Numbers 13:30–32)

I’m learning about God’s attitude toward my attitude when I complain. Not only does it reveal a lack of faith in what He is allowing in my life, it fosters that same attitude in others. Only ten reported those challenges with fear and trembling. Joshua and Caleb were eager to move forward. However negativity ruled and the entire congregation turned away from a great blessing and wandered forty more years in the wilderness.

When others are complaining and negative, I am discouraged, sometimes angry with them and even complain about their complaining! This puts me in the same tippy boat and I must conclude that negativity and complaining foster unbelief. No wonder God became angry with them.

How to respond to the negatives around me? The psalmist reminded himself of the realities of life. He saw cheaters trusting their wealth and spoke the truth that all die and only those who trust the Lord can live forever. He wrote, “But God will ransom my soul from the power of Sheol, for he will receive me. Selah” (Psalm 49:15) Biblical truth changes negative attitudes.

Another solution to complaining and negativity, especially that based on comparing what I don’t have to what others do have, is looking at God’s prophetic revelation of future things. Isaiah speaks of a coming day when God will bring low the pride of humanity and He alone will be exalted. He will bring down everything from high mountains to high towers, fortified walls, ships, beautiful crafts, anything that we take pride in. All will flee as they cast away their idols and hide in caves. His bottom line is: “Stop regarding man in whose nostrils is breath, for of what account is he?” (Isaiah 2:22) Like the psalmist, I can replace negative thoughts and behavior with the reality of my salvation.

The entire Chapter 10 of Hebrews fits this solution! It speaks of Christ’s sacrifice for all sin and of His covenant where His law is written in my heart and gives me confidence to draw near to Him . . .

 . . . with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with my heart sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and my body washed with pure water. Let me hold fast the confession of my hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let me consider how to stir up others to love and good works in the lives of others . . .  (Hebrews 10:22–24, personified)

Then this passage speaks of the folly of deliberate sin and “outraging the Spirit of grace” with the warning of it being a “fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.” (Hebrews 10:26–31) Indeed it is a fearful thing, but lest that cause negativity in my heart, God also says, “But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.” (Hebrews 10:35–39)

APPLY: Confess my negativity and ask God to fill me with His positive attitude and the ability to encourage others rather than drag them into seeing giants when God has milk and honey enough for all of us.

No comments: