May 6, 2020

Why this virus?

Numbers 14; Psalm 50; Isaiah 3–4; Hebrews 11

A Jewish preacher who believes in Jesus also believes that the purpose of God in this Covid-19 pandemic is to wake His people up to their need of repentance. He says that far too many Christians have become lax in following Christ and this outbreak is a warning. He bases his thoughts on how God worked in the past and how the history of God’s people in the Old Testament gives instruction for us in modern times.

Numbers 14 is an example. The people were crying, weeping, and grumbling. They thought they would be better off to pick a new leader to replace Moses and go back to the bondage of Egypt rather than face the challenges of living in the promised land. When Joshua (whose name means Jehovah saves) and Caleb urged them to not be afraid and move forward, the people wanted to stone these two to death.
And the Lord said to Moses, “How long will this people despise me? And how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs that I have done among them? I will strike them with the pestilence and disinherit them, and I will make of you a nation greater and mightier than they.” (Numbers 14:11–12)
In these days, the enemy seems to be a tiny virus yet the Messianic Jewish preacher would say not. The enemy is flat-out lack of faith in the power of God and preferring to live in bondage than in the footsteps of Jesus. It is choosing to worship the idol of a perfect life rather than face the battles against personal sin and the mocking of others. It is choosing the American dream over service to the Eternal king. The preacher would also say that God is asking, “How long will my people despise me?”

A little booklet challenged me before I got out of bed this morning. It said to tell God that I will accept whatever He has for me today. Last night, I had a plan; hubby is golfing (yes, the courses are open) and creativity and my to-do list was calling. I’d had a week of having more interruptions to my plans than I can count. I was okay with most of it, but the challenge is huge. I often pray for someone’s salvation with, “ . . . whatever it takes” and tremble saying it. Now God is asking me to apply the same attitude toward my plans — put them entirely in His hands and accept whatever He brings into my life this day.

God also speaks to me about complaining like His people complained after the Exodus. My lot in life should produce incredible thanksgiving. He warns me again but also makes a promise:
“Mark this, then, you who forget God, lest I tear you apart, and there be none to deliver! The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!” (Psalm 50:22–23)
God’s answer to those who think their old life was easier than a walk of faith is seen throughout the Bible. Don’t turn back. He says through Isaiah the OT prophet that there will come a day . . .
 . . .  when the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion and cleansed the bloodstains of Jerusalem from its midst by a spirit of judgment and by a spirit of burning. Then the Lord will create over the whole site of Mount Zion and over her assemblies a cloud by day, and smoke and the shining of a flaming fire by night; for over all the glory there will be a canopy. There will be a booth for shade by day from the heat, and for a refuge and a shelter from the storm and rain. (Isaiah 4:4–6)
This is figurative language describing how He will bring His people back to what He intended. In modern terms, it is restoration and revival, exactly the preacher’s understanding of what God has in mind —the pandemic will bring His people to their knees in repentance.

Hebrews 11 is called the faith chapter. Verse 6 says: “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Do I live by the first part and forget the promise? Do I know He is with me and forget that He will reward my diligent efforts to walk with Him? If so, I need revival too — a restoration to my first love.

Isolation and the treat of a virus is not getting to me nearly as much as the idea that God is using this to reset the hearts of His people and bring us back to where we ought to be. We have made an idol out of the ‘good life’ to the point that thankfulness has become rare. A willingness to battle spiritual enemies in prayer and righteous living is even rarer.

APPLY: Hebrews 11 says  I am to desire a better country, a heavenly one and never desire to turn back to the bondage of sin. This means trusting the Lord with everything including whatever He might send my way today. Oh I do need His grace.



No comments: