May 22, 2020

God Speaks


Numbers 31; Psalms 75–76; Isaiah 23; 1 John 1

Almost every chapter in Numbers begins with: “The Lord spoke to Moses . . . .” which prompted a search telling me that this occurred at least 250 times in forty years of wandering in the wilderness as he led God’s people. These communications could have been daily.

Then, I did the math for myself. Allowing for errors in my hearing, after nearly fifty years of following Christ and having daily devotions, the Lord has spoken to me more than 14,000 times. I am in awe at His faithfulness. I wish I could say that I’ve always obeyed what He said to me. At the same time, with the psalmist I must say:
We give thanks to you, O God; we give thanks, for your name is near. We recount your wondrous deeds. (Psalm 75:1)
I am so grateful that I can say with John the wonder of knowing Jesus. Though I have not seen Him with my physical eyes as John and the other disciples did, He has revealed Himself to me . . . “that which I have seen and heard I proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with me; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.” (1 John 1:3–4, personalized)

It is good to tell others about what God says and the things He has done. My devotional book says: “The recital of what God has done is a means of grace to bring God near to his people. Believers who spend no time reviewing and pondering in their minds what God has done, whether they are alone and reading their Bibles or joining with other believers in corporate adoration, should not be surprised if they rarely sense that God is near.”

And again I am grateful. God’s nearness is an amazing blessing. Again I can say with the psalmist:
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11)
And I can testify to the truth of His promise to Moses: “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” (Exodus 33:14)

As for recounting His deeds, the fact of salvation is overwhelming. So also is how God gives me sweet fellowship with His people; we share Christ together and are unified in that reality regardless of other differences we might have. Also, God shows me my sinfulness so that I can know His forgiveness and know the miracle of being cleansed, of receiving a changed life. John says:
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
After nearly fifty years of life with Jesus, this remains a foundational truth — that He is faithful and just and that His forgiveness is based on the sacrifice of His Son, not on anything I’ve done. Because of Jesus, God is always with me.
What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, “For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:31–39)
APPLY: Praise His name all day long and testify all that He has done!


No comments: