May 31, 2020

Victory guaranteed!

Deuteronomy 4; Psalms 86–87; Isaiah 32; Revelation 2
My little booklet of common prayer reminds me to think about the day God saved me. Even after fifty years, it is a vivid memory. That fall day, I was reading a book from the library about reincarnation in my concern about what would happen to me when I died. I’d read the Bible for many years and could not understand it. I’d gone to Sunday School and church and didn’t remember hearing any answers. I was newly divorced, emotionally messy, and feeling alone and a failure.

I was sitting on the sofa in my living room. There was a verse of Scripture in that book, used out of context yet I don’t remember what it was. I only remember the brilliance of light as Jesus seemed to walk into the room. In that moment, I knew He was God in human flesh and that He came to save me from my sin.

Much of the Bible speaks of salvation by faith, of new life, of being reborn. I know that all of this is a gift, not something I figured out or understood by my intellectual self. It was a surprise, totally unplanned for I had no idea prior that such a thing could happen. I can still feel the awe that God was in my living room and that He revealed Himself to me, a total messed up person.

Today’s reading plan gave me several verses, delighting my heart this morning as they also remind me of what the Lord did for me those many years ago — and continues to do.
To you it was shown that you might know that the Lord is God; there is no other besides him. Out of heaven he let you hear his voice, that he might discipline you. And on earth he let you see his great fire, and you heard his words out of the midst of the fire. (Deuteronomy 4:35–36)
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. (Psalm 86:12–13)
Then justice will dwell in the wilderness, and righteousness abide in the fruitful field. And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever. My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places. (Isaiah 32:16–18)
Revelation 2 has four of seven letters written to seven churches in various stages of their faith and behavior. Each of them ends with a promise to those who conquer or overcome the situations that challenge them. These promises include:
  • Eating from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God. (Revelation 2:7)
  • Not being hurt by the second death.(Revelation 2:11)
  • Receiving hidden manna and a new name.(Revelation 17)
  • Receiving the Morning Star (Jesus).(Revelation 2:28)
  • Clothed in white, name in the book of life. (Revelation 3:5)
  • Becoming a pillar in the temple of God written with His names. (Revelation 3:12)
  • Seated with Christ in the heavens . (Revelation 3:21)
All these are granted to every individual who believes in Jesus Christ and are given/guaranteed at the moment of salvation! We have no excuse if our local church is not conquering and living up to the gifts that God has given each of us as individuals. Whether God sends a revival or not, those who have saving faith in Him will step into eternity as overcomers!
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:4–5)
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:57)

APPLY: I am a child of God, a soldier of His army, a member of His Body. I must live like it, rejoice in it, focus on what He has done and hold my head up — I am an overcomer, a conqueror. Victory over sin is mine because of Jesus!

1 comment:

Darrell said...

Hope you are doing well!