April 25, 2023

Messengers of Peace

 

Last night’s small group study in Joshua focused on the time when the Israelites returned to the east side of the Jordan river to live after Joshua led all the tribes to victory. Those who stayed in the conquered territory became angry and wanted to go to war with the other three. Their anger was not about the move but that they had built an altar and this was against the will of God. The issue was settled peacefully, but someone noticed that Joshua was not mentioned and wondered why their leader did not deal with this conflict.

Jesus says, “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God” (Matthew 5:9). Was Joshua neglecting his duty? Or did he decide to stay out of it and let them figure it out for themselves? Why was he not involved? Since Joshua is a type of Christ, does this say something to us about conflict in the church?

Today’s devotional says that God’s people are messengers of peace with two main responsibilities. One is to help others make peace with God. We do this by sharing the Gospel with them and by praying for them. Romans 10:15 says, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!”

MacArthur says our second responsibility is to help reconcile believers to one another. While the Bible tells the dangers of conflict between people, I’m not able to recall verses that tell a third party to intervene. First, the danger of conflicts:

So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. (Matthew 5:23–24)

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. (1 Peter 3:7)

And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.” (Mark 11:25)

If I am involved in a conflict, my communion with God is blocked. Conflict is about seeking or having my own way. It is not an issue if my heart is set to love God and love others.

However, what do I do with disputes that do not involve me? Moses did act as a judge and representing the Law. However, Acts 7 tells how his actions in Egypt were misunderstood. A person who wronged his neighbor pushed Moses aside and said, “Who made you a ruler and a judge over us?” Perhaps Joshua stepped back for that reason. He didn’t see himself in that role or did not want that role.

 Much later, Jesus was speaking when a man said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me,” He replied, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?” (Luke 12:13–14) Another passage says this:

Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. (Romans 2:1)

Who am I to determine right and wrong between other people? I am a sinner too. Also, in the past, I’ve had people come to me with complaints against another person. I’ve told them to talk to the other person and to God; I’m not their advocate. Sometimes I’ve pointed them to their responsibility to forgive, but refuse to decide who is guilty and who is innocent. For one thing, in most disputes, all are guilty of something.

Besides, is it up to me to defend one side against the other? I can point people to godly principles, but never say negative things about either person, especially because I don’t know the whole story. I can bring them together and ask them to deal with it in a biblical way, but only God can know their hearts and change their thinking.

I’m warned not to avoid spiritual conflicts, but instead speak the truth in love, whether it is the Gospel needed, or a gracious word about resolving differences and forgiveness. Yet I need to keep my own heart out of it, never taking sides but seeking justice, the glory of God, and humbly pursuing His peace.

Jesus, I’m thankful that conflict in my church is so rare that no one hears much about it and that Your peace is so lovely that no one wants to lose it. I know that if You call me to be a peacemaker, my own heart must be at peace. Far better to focus on who You are and what You are doing than getting involved in any friction — unless You specifically tell me to do so. Keep me listening. Also, grant me whatever I need to share God’s peace with those who do not know Christ. Enable me to guard my own heart.

REMEMBER: 2 Corinthians 5:17–21 tells me I am a citizen of heaven and God’s ambassador, here to tell others how they can be reconciled to God through faith in Christ and His sacrifice for all. Being reconciled to God goes a long way toward eliminating conflict.

 

 

No comments: