April 19, 2023

A heart check . . .

 

In a discussion about right thoughts producing right actions, a friend said, ‘Sometimes you have to do the right actions to get the right thoughts.’ At first, I thought that would be hypocrisy or at least a lack of integrity, but remembered times when my children were upset with their dad and I had them polish his shoes. Their attitude changed. My attitude changes also — when I do a favor for someone I don’t really like.

Nevertheless, God is concerned about the way I think. The NT says, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” (Romans 12:2) My former way of thinking was always sinful, not at all able to discern God’s will, never mind think it could be good, acceptable and perfect.

A renewed mind will think this way: “ . . . whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

In the physical world, our heart is a literal organ. In the Bible, heart relates to thoughts and motivations. Jesus said, “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander” (Matthew 15:19) giving a reason for Proverbs 4:23, “Keep your heart with all vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.” Since what I think about affects my decisions and feelings, protecting my thought-life is vital to my emotions and to how I behave.

Jesus said: “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8)

Purity is about being clean, free from the filth of sin, also unmixed or unadulterated by ungodly influences. It is about spiritual integrity and sincere motives, about the outer life matching the inner person. No pretense, only thinking as Jesus thinks. Not the easiest assignment!

One example is obedience to earthly authorities “with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man.” (Ephesians 6:5–7)

That and other challenges to think right are important and life changing. I want that pure heart for the result is far more precious than the results of any other thoughts, regardless of how pleasing they might be to me.

Lord Jesus, David prayed, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” (Psalm 19:14) I pray that verse often. You know my heart, every thought, even the words I will say before I say them. How important to pray that way. And whenever my thoughts wander off the clear path You give me, I must always ask, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10)

ALSO READ and make these thoughts my thoughts as I pray:

I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart; I will recount all of your wonderful deeds. (Psalm 9:1)

Prove me, O Lord, and try me; test my heart and my mind. (Psalm 26:2)

You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to you, “Your face, Lord, do I seek.” (Psalm 27:8)

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. (Psalm 28:7)

My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! (Psalm 57:7)

 

 

No comments: