April 13, 2023

Mercy . . .

 

A dictionary defines mercy in two categories: "Corporal works of mercy" which concern the material and physical needs of others and "Spiritual works of mercy" which concern the spiritual needs of others. The Bible puts both in the same category. Mercy is doing for others what they cannot do for themselves.

In the OT, God faithfully keeps his promises and maintains his covenant relationship with his chosen people despite their unfaithfulness. This mercy is more than punishment withheld but actively helping those who are miserable due to circumstances beyond their control. It is shown in the gospel; Jesus Christ came to save sinners which are defined as “all fall short” and need God’s mercy.

As with much of what Jesus says, if God has shown mercy to me and brought me into His kingdom, then I am to show mercy to others. In His day, and even now, mercy is sometimes seen as a weakness, depending on the state of those who are in need of it. I’m thinking of the homeless, people in poverty, those with dementia or other infirmities, elderly people, and many others who cannot do anything about their difficult situations.

Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.” (Matthew 5:7) Interesting order in this statement. While it looks as if mercy is earned, it is more like ‘if I feel needy and helpless, then do something for others who are needy and helpless and God will do something to fill my empty place.’ However, this not our acts of mercy that earn mercy from God. Rather, mercy is similar to “forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” (Matthew 6:12) Both beatitudes are about family resemblance. We do these things because we are in God’s family.

Just as I am to be forgiving in the same way God forgave me, I am also to “Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.” (Luke 6:36) In the world, mercy is either critically condemned as a weakness, or displayed only by those who want to appear ‘good’ by doing ‘good’ but without the godly compassion that motivates mercy. This quality is given through the power of the Holy Spirit. I must admit that mercy is not always my normal reaction to helplessness.

People can be cruel and unkind, yet a lack of mercy shows up when we are busily engaged in seeking self-gratification and simply neglect others. However, the NT says true faith is illustrated by showing mercy.

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. (James 2:14–17)

Mercy is not a weakness. It takes courage and sacrifice to give it. It also requires godly wisdom:

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. (James 3:17)

Jesus, thank You for being merciful to me. At first, I didn’t realize my helplessness or how much I needed Your kindness and grace, but now that I do, and now that You have shown me incredible blessing, my heart is softer and even eager to show others the same kindness and grace. None of us deserve Your mercy for we are sinners. Apart from You reaching out to us, all would remain in that hopeless condition of trying to live without You or trying to please You with our own efforts to be ‘good enough’ without even realizing that will never happen. I see a world full of people without any idea that they fall short of Your glory. How badly our world needs to hear about Your goodness and mercy toward everyone. Even the worst of sinners (in our folly of measuring sin by degrees) can be saved because of the great goodness of mercy. Help me to show it and to be alert because there will always be opportunities.

READ Luke 10:25–37. Why did the lawyer question Jesus? How did he try to justify himself? What did the parable say about mercy and to whom should it be given? Who needs mercy in my world? Am I the neighbor that I ought to be toward them? What will it cost me? What did it cost Jesus to show mercy to me?

 

 

 

No comments: