April 28, 2023

Reactions to the Gospel

 

When I speak about Christ, most people react, inwardly if not visibly. Some think I am odd, or a religious nut. Some frown as if they don’t understand, or as if they do and don’t like what I said. Some smile and agree. A few might even say Amen.

Persecution happens. A life far from Jesus is also far from caring about those who are close to Him. Unrighteousness includes a tendency to hate those who believe. Those who openly share their faith in Jesus are prone to attacks from those who resist and reject Christ. Because He is evident in their lives by their love for Him and their words, those who reject Him want to silence that unwelcome noise and interruption to how they think and live.

There are degrees of persecution. One person told me I am presumptuous to think I am a child of God. That is mild compared to anyone attacked and killed for telling others about Jesus. Daily, hundreds are slaughtered in parts of the world for professing their faith. For this, Jesus said:

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matthew 5:10–12)

The reward of this bold faith is not in this life, nor is it the reward most people expect when they think of rewards. Being treated in an evil manner, whether harassment, insults, slander, beatings, imprisonment or worse, might be all we get here because the reward Jesus talks about is in heaven. However, joy and peace can be ours even in persecution.

I’ve said before that believing in Christ means that His Spirit lives in me and whatever He thinks and experiences can be my thoughts and experiences too — if I’m alert and walking closely with Him. That is, when God is angry, I might feel ‘righteous indignation’ or when God is grieved, I may feel His grief. Yet when God is glorified — and He alone is worthy of glory — then I can be filled with the same joy that He feels. (To better understand this, read The Pleasures of God by John Piper).

This means that when I am obedient to God and others can see it, they may resist but that will not take away my joy and peace. On the other hand, they may not attack me — they might see the Lord and rejoice in Him and His goodness. Jesus also said, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)

Today’s devotional says that we can expect persecution, yet I’m not sure that is a helpful way to think. I should not be shocked by it, but if I always expect negative responses to Jesus, where is my faith? If I am praying for others to welcome God’s good news, then shouldn’t I be expecting that to happen now and then? That expectation makes a difference in my attitude and it is shows up in how people react to my expressions of faith.

This week I shared a big plan God had put on my heart and someone said, “Good for you.” I could have taken that as a pat on the back, but truthfully replied that I really didn’t want to do it and had even argued with God about it. Her expression changed to what looked like relief, as if my words connected with her own resistance to God. Don’t we all resist at times? She was nodding, smiling, and stopped putting me on a pedestal.

Jesus was persecuted and said His followers would also suffer for His name’s sake. He knows insults, misunderstandings, slander, mocking, and eventually being killed without any reason other than He glorified God. He knows people are capable of evil. He also knows how much I can take and will allow only what fits with His will. I am not to invite mistreatment by being a total jerk or unloving, yet realize that evil always hates or misunderstands goodness. People crucified the perfect Person. People will take pot shots at those of us who trust Him, especially when we point them to the One who can change their lives.

Lord, I’m not aware of being hated, but am very aware that much of the world’s population is either ignorant of You or resists You, sometimes with brutality against Your people. I pray for Your children who are faced with evil because they love You. May Your grace carry them. May their thoughts focus on the rewards to come and on everlasting life, which is far more important than being popular. Enable me also to focus on Your power to change lives rather than letting fear of a negative response keep me from sharing You with my neighbors, friends, and family. Forgive them. They have no idea what they are doing.

THINK ABOUT: 2 Peter 3:3–9 reveals motivations of mockers and what they deny. God could judge them on the spot but does not. Why not?

 

No comments: