April 1, 2023

An attitude check ahead . . .

 

It was a long, difficult night. Waiting to meet someone yesterday, I went to a restaurant, had lunch, then did a few chores on my computer. Lunch was good, but my digestive system didn’t agree and had me up most of the night getting rid of it. I should feel tired and be crabby but a few verses from Scripture and along comes joy and contentment. I can relate to how the crowds must have felt when Jesus did this:

Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying . . . . (Matthew 5:1–2)

The words of this sermon are fresh, new, not heard before. When Jesus taught, preached, or healed people, the crowds were excited, even those who didn’t agree with Him. Multitudes followed and thousands came for healing and to hear truth. Mockery happened too, but that didn’t stop Him.

Every day, Jesus speaks something fresh to my heart. I need only to show up, read what the Word of God says, and my life is blessed. That includes being convicted of sin yet immediately forgiven and made clean. It also includes reminders of who He is and what He has done in my life. Today, He points to the attitudes that bring blessing. This includes humility, sorrow over sin, gentleness, righteousness, mercy, purity of heart, peace, and the experience of happiness that even severe persecution can’t destroy.

I often thank God for His blessings and a big part of my list is about circumstances, like a comfortable home, good friends, and the ability to do things helpful and fruitful. This morning, I want to thank Him for a contented heart — when it would be easy to complain.

Jesus often proclaimed a standard of living diametrically opposed to the standards of His day — and ours. He boldly denounced ritual and hypocrisy. He taught that true faith is a matter of the heart and that people behave as their hearts dictate.

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45)

This means the key to transformed behavior is transformed thinking. I cannot be joyful after a sleepless night unless I am trusting the Lord, knowing He allowed it, can use it for good, and it need not ruin my joy.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)

A transformed mind is the result of thinking God’s thoughts. The only way that can happen is by reading His Word and doing what it says, in faith. Trusting Him changes the way I live. It transforms me because faith enables me to see the will of God, and that His will is good, perfect. Mine is flawed and selfish, short-sighted and usually with a me-first emphasis. My mother often said, ‘You will be the happiest when you do things for others.’ Certainly, this thought is contrary to the world. It is a kingdom principle that Jesus teaches to all who will listen.

Jesus, since MacArthur’s next devotions will be in the Beatitudes, I am looking forward to You conforming me to Your attitudes. Help me recognize any attitude changes that are needed and rejoice knowing that You know what is best for me. You keep proving this over and over. Thank You!

PREPARE: Read the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5–7 and notice how Jesus’ listeners reacted. Compare that to my reactions.

 

No comments: