April 4, 2023

Poor in spirit means . . .

Some Christians use the term ‘head knowledge’ to describe knowing truth, but not doing it as opposed to ‘heart knowledge’ where that truth becomes part of how we live. I’m realizing that ‘head knowledge’ is a form of deception and even disobedience. In my experience, knowing a truth and even teaching it to others but not doing it myself is hypocrisy. Jesus condemned the Pharisees for that attitude and the Holy Spirit convicts me that just knowing is not enough.

We usually learn by degrees. When I became a Christian, there was a sense of being poor in spirit, otherwise salvation would not have happened. God saved me when I was lost and needy and knew it. However, many years of learning what the Bible says, I was still doing many things in my own strength and confidence, not fully understanding what Jesus meant when He said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:3)

The world teaches a successful life based on self-confidence, but Jesus says we do not see or enter His kingdom that way. Even if we enter His way because we know we are unable to do so otherwise, there is that fleshy, worldly, human and sinful idea that ‘I can do this myself’ distracting us from the spiritual poverty Jesus talked about.

Today’s devotional lists several ways to determine true poverty of spirit. I would start that list by saying it is not merely knowing truth. Instead, it is being weak, being contrite, knowing how unable I am and realizing this is the way Jesus wants me to be, utterly helpless and dependent, like a child.

The rest of the list comes from Thomas Watson’s book The Beatitudes. Each one clearly talks about human experience, not what I know but about the kind of person Jesus wants me to be.

Weaned from self, with a focus on glorifying God and ministering to others. Psalm 131:2 speaks of a weaned child —close to the source of self-satisfaction yet contented and not grasping for it. He trusts his mother for all needs and makes no demands, no ‘me, me, me’ cries about his situation and dropping all concern for self.

Focused on Jesus as 2 Corinthians 3:18 says: “And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another . . . .” Captivated by the wonder of Christ, filled with the desire to be like Him, continually looking His way in all situations.

No complaining. This one is a challenge for me. My mom used to say, ‘We must need it or we would not be getting it.’ This rings true about God’s sovereign control and ability to give what I need even though I deserve nothing. Every time I grumble, I am not poor in spirit.

Sees good in others. While some use terms like my weaknesses compared to the strength of others, I would say this more like ‘sees God’s goodness in others’ — recognizing that all good things come from Him. (James 1:16-18)

Prays much. Needy people are quick to run to God. We don’t leave prayer as a ‘last resort’ but constantly seek His will and blessing. Helplessness drives us to Him and we do not first seek advice from any other source.

Takes Christ on His terms. If He says go, I go. If He says speak up, I speak up. If He says be still, I am still. All this is done without question or worry about the danger or the cost. He leads and I follow, even if it seems odd or difficult or contrary to my reasoning. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.” (Proverbs 3:5–8)

Full of praise and thankfulness. The psalms are filled with examples of how poverty of spirit shows up in verbal witness to the fact that we know where our help comes from. We run to Him when we are victorious, never patting ourselves on the back. For that, I will add this one . . .

Keeps short accounts with God. One definition of Lent says: Prayer during Lent focuses on our need for God's forgiveness. It's also about repenting (turning away from our sins) and receiving God's mercy and love.” A person who is poor in spirit does that all the time. (1 John 1:9)

 Dear Lord Jesus, yes, I realize there is a progression or a learning curve here, but also that feeling poverty and helplessness is unpopular, even in the church. It is my desire to live Your way, not the way of bold human confidence. Your way seems much more difficult yet at the same time, Your example is incredible and appealing. Enable me to embrace my poverty.

MORE: there is nothing more. Just humbly rely on Jesus — all the time and for everything.

 

 

No comments: