April 5, 2023

Choosing comfort in sorrow

Last weekend I had an awful experience. If focused on it, I would be upset and filled with negative emotions. However, the Holy Spirit prompted me to focus on the will of God and think about how He used that experience for a blessing to someone else. As soon as I responded, the negatives were replaced with His comfort and with joy.

Today’s devotional is about the various kinds of sorrow or mourning that we experience. Some of them are common to all, such a grief when a loved one dies or is injured, yet even then, the Bible says that Christians do not mourn the same way as others. In reference to other believers who have died, it says:

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. (1 Thessalonians 4:13)

Our faith in God’s promises helps us during loss of loved ones. When my dad died, a young woman said, “I know it is a sad time, but I’m so happy for your dad!” That remark lifted my sorrow and I realized most of it was about feeling sorry for myself. Those whose loved ones go to heaven cannot mourn for them for we know that they are in the best possible place.

Jesus said, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” (Matthew 5:4) Comfort for those who mourn a death is only one reason for mourning or grief or sorrow. Those who live only to enjoy life and avoid problems struggle when things don’t go their way. On the other hand, Christians can experience the joy of the Holy Spirit even in the midst of sorrow, a paradox yet true, and that joy is a great comfort.

Human sorrow is not always self-focused. I’m sad watching the news most days. People are suffering. Some of it seems needless and so tragic. Yet I am comforted knowing that God sees, knows, and can use all things for good, even if I cannot see it or know what He is doing. His sovereignty is a great comfort.

I’m also grieved when I see sin in human lives. My own sin of course, but others too. I know that without faith and the power of God’s Spirit, sin will happen, but it is so destructive and causes so much pain especially if the comfort God that gives is unavailable.

Christians sin too, and that is often a more profound grief because our sin grieves the Holy Spirit and He lives in me, so I feel His grief. Yet the hope and promises of God are a comfort too. I mourn the sin yet can look at the One who bore our sin and be consoled. A big reason for comfort is that we will eventually defeat sin and be like Jesus:

Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is. (1 John 3:2)

Our hope is a comfort, as is this description of eternity:

He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. (Revelation 21:4)

Lord Jesus, You sent the Holy Spirit to be my Comforter. Every day I experience small or large trials that could drive me to tears, yet You enable me to lean on You, to be fed by Your words and promises, and to talk to You about all the things that bother me as well as give thanks for Your comfort and all that You do for me and for others, even for what You are doing in this world. One day, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that You are Lord — to the glory of God. That thought is a great comfort too!

TAKE COMFORT: David spent much time and anguish as Saul pursued him with intent to kill him. Read Psalm 55 and feel his sorrow and then look at what He determined to take as his comfort. For those who know Jesus, how often is comfort a choice?

 

 

No comments: