April 9, 2023

Being Like Jesus

 

Some people are stuck in the past. My husband thinks ahead. I’m a ‘right now’ person. For that reason, the last part of today’s verse isn’t as important to me as the first part.

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. (Matthew 5:5)

MacArthur writes that someday God will reverse the curse and return the earth to His people. I’ve never been a ‘someday’ person so am far more interested in what it means to be meek right now. The dictionaries say gentle, mild, strength under control. Google says it is being too submissive; easily imposed on; spineless; spiritless, and does not have force or is willing to give into others. Jesus called Himself a meek person, so Google needs to take another look. Being meek is not being weak. Rather, it is yielding to the needs of others by giving up what I would rather do. it is giving in for the sake of others rather than being spineless.

Sin messes with meekness, especially using the biblical definition of sin:

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6)

Sin is going my own way instead of God’s way. It is the opposite of:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce; then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline or be weary of his reproof, for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights. (Proverbs 3:5–12)

If anyone thinks meekness is a weakness, they have never tried it. Being meek takes so much power that I cannot do it apart from being filled with the Spirit of God. Yielding to Him is not easy; it is very difficult, even when the rewards are offered, like inheriting the earth.

Meekness could be described as childlike. Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:14) He also said that childlikeness is required to enter His kingdom as well as live in it.

Children today are likely not the same as children of His day. Now even the very young can operate electronics. Some play piano or violin like adults. Some curse and use foul language and dress like gang members. But thinking younger, watching children look in wonder at creation, or asking questions, or sitting on mom’s lap, or holding daddy’s hand, I get what Jesus meant. He wants me to be like that as I love and serve my heavenly Father, not like those who ‘go their own way’ and ignore Him.

Meekness means bearing patiently with the hurtful actions of others and dealing gently with their failures, not only in the assurance that all of these are under God’s providential control, but realizing that, left to myself, ‘I have no claim to be any stronger than the weakest of my friends or any better than the worst of my enemies.’

That quote and this story illustrate meekness: A noted preacher was walking with his son. A man approached them and started talking. He asked the preacher his opinion of another man that had been at great odds with him. The preacher said something like, “I think that he is a good man.” After the father and son were alone again, the son looked up and said “I thought that man hated you and couldn’t stand you. Why were you so complimentary toward him when you were asked what you thought of him?” To which the preacher said, “Because son, I wasn’t asked what his opinion was of me, but what my opinion was of him.”

Lord Jesus, You are “gentle and lowly in heart” and told Your disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matthew 16:24) That means dying to the things I might want and being like You, not thinking too highly of myself but considering others. Being meek is not easy. Only in You is it even possible. Again, I’m not focused on inheriting the earth but on letting You transform my life.

Read Philippians 2:1-11 with meekness in mind. What does it look like — for Jesus? for me? 

HAPPY EASTER! He is risen! What a glorious truth and hope for all who trust Him!

 

 

 

No comments: