December 29, 2022

Convinced

 

READ John 5-10

These chapters from the Gospel of John repeat principles that ground my faith. My heart bursts with joy reading these truths. I am certain of so many things because Jesus said them!

Jesus said, “See, you are well! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you” (John 5:14) and I know that sin brings undesirable things into my life.

He said, “For the Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.” (5:22–24) I know that cults who claim to worship God but ignore Jesus are not honoring God at all.

“I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just, because I seek not my own will but the will of him who sent me” (5:30) tells me that seeking the will of God gives me the ability to rightly evaluate what I hear. Without Christ, I cannot be sure of anything. This uncertainty is increased when I try to impress others: “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?” (5:44) Jesus later adds, “If anyone’s will is to do God’s will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority.” (7:17) Obedience brings clarity.

Jesus gives priorities for life: believe in Him, seek His will rather than temporary stuff . . .

“Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves. Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you . . . .” Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.” (6:26–29)

I also know that the salvation of others is primarily God’s work: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him . . . .” (6:44) and as they are drawn, they must come to Him realizing that sin is the big issue and so is His identity! He says, “I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.” (8:24)

In that last verse, the word “he” is not in the original language. Jesus later repeated this claim: “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” And those who heard Him “picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.” (8:58–59, compare to God identifying Himself to Moses in Exodus 3:14) For this claim and for all that He did, the Jews thought He was lying, but I am firmly convinced that Jesus is God in human flesh.

From experience and the words of Jesus, I am also convinced that sin is a slave driver. My only freedom is knowing the truth and living by it. Satan lies to deceive and sometimes knocks me down, but Jesus picks me up . . . 

“If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free . . . . everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin . . . . So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” (8:31–36) “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (10:10) “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.” (10:27–30)

If something nasty happens to me, God uses it for good. Romans 8:28-29 define that good as transforming me to be more like Jesus. From John 9:1-3, I also am convinced that nasty stuff is not always brought on by my sin. Sometimes it happens because God has a plan. When Jesus saw a man blind from birth, his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.”

My mom used to say, “We must need it, or we would not be getting it.” This expresses a belief in the goodness and sovereignty of God. Jesus used her words and John’s Gospel to convince me. Whatever God says is true.

 

No comments: