December 10, 2022

Praise produces joy, joy produces strength . . .

 

READ 1 Chronicles 16–20

This morning I woke three hours earlier than usual and found myself praising God through the alphabet: Almighty, Blessed, Creator and so on. It filled me with joy, and joy filled me with energy. So I got up.

And the reading for today is one of praise describing the first part of David’s reign as king over God’s people:

And they brought in the ark of God and set it inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and they offered burnt offerings and peace offerings before God. And when David had finished offering the burnt offerings and the peace offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord and distributed to all Israel, both men and women, to each a loaf of bread, a portion of meat, and a cake of raisins. Then he appointed some of the Levites as ministers before the ark of the Lord, to invoke, to thank, and to praise the Lord, the God of Israel. (1 Chronicles 16:1-4)

The rest of this chapter is also in Psalm 105:1-15 and 96:1-13, David’s praise to God. Then he continues:

Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name; bring an offering and come before him! Worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness . . . . Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!  . . . . Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting!” Then all the people said, “Amen!” and praised the Lord. So David left Asaph and his brothers there before the ark of the covenant of the Lord to minister regularly before the ark as each day required . . . . And he left Zadok the priest and his brothers the priests before the tabernacle of the Lord in the high place that was at Gibeon to offer burnt offerings to the Lord on the altar of burnt offering regularly morning and evening, to do all that is written in the Law of the Lord that he commanded Israel. With them were Heman and Jeduthun and the rest of those chosen and expressly named to give thanks to the Lord, for his steadfast love endures forever. (16:29-41)

Reading all this activity of praise to God gives me even more joy and surely the joy of the Lord is my strength. This line brings me down to practical application: “Then all the people departed each to his house, and David went home to bless his household.” (16:43) I need to use that energy to be a blessing and take care of my home and my husband!

However, David’s next words are also ‘down to earth’ words for they reflect all that God did for him. God reminds me of all that He has done for me. David was taken “from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be prince” over God’s people. The Lord was with him and fought his enemies. He would make a great name for this shepherd boy. Of course David asked this question:

“Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And this was a small thing in your eyes, O God. You have also spoken of your servant’s house for a great while to come, and have shown me future generations, O Lord God! And what more can David say to you for honoring your servant? For you know your servant. For your servant’s sake, O Lord, and according to your own heart, you have done all this greatness, in making known all these great things. There is none like you, O Lord, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard with our ears. (17:16–20)

I feel a little of what David felt as he said, “O Lord, you are God, and you have promised this good thing to your servant. Now you have been pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever before you, for it is you, O Lord, who have blessed, and it is blessed forever.” While not in the same way, God has also taken me out of a messed up life, blessed me and made promises, watching over me and my family, and given us joy. There is none like Him, no God besides Him. Praise His name forever!

 

No comments: