December 13, 2022

Bloom where I am planted . . .

 

READ 2 Chronicles 1–4

Solomon teaches a spiritual principle about having a godly ambition that results in success, no matter what a person is doing. When he became king, God asked him:

“Ask what I shall give you.” And Solomon said to God, “You have shown great and steadfast love to David my father, and have made me king in his place. O Lord God, let your word to David my father be now fulfilled, for you have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth. Give me now wisdom and knowledge to go out and come in before this people, for who can govern this people of yours, which is so great?”

This was a godly answer. The Lord was pleased and said, “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked for possessions, wealth, honor, or the life of those who hate you, and have not even asked for long life, but have asked for wisdom and knowledge for yourself that you may govern my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are granted to you. I will also give you riches, possessions, and honor, such as none of the kings had who were before you, and none after you shall have the like.” (2 Chronicles 1:7–12)

Imagine hearing that offer. Most would go for personal greatness of some sort, but Solomon was not thinking about selfish gain. His mind was on the task that fell to him, the task of leading a nation. He wanted to govern well for their sake. By this request, God gave him far more than he asked.

My tasks are not so grand; I make quilts, mostly to give to others. The latest project was a challenge and I prayed about every step. I wanted it to be well done and express God’s love to the person who would receive it. God heard my requests. When I look at the finished quilt, I can hardly believe that I made it and must glorify God for the result; any skill was His doing.

Principle: no matter the task that God places in my life, asking Him to bless me with whatever is needed to do that task for His honor and glory makes a difference. His hand in my to-do list not only draws me closer to Him as I pray, the work itself will be a surprise, even to the point of feeling detached from it, as if I didn’t do it.

I don’t know how Solomon felt as he watched the house of God go up, but he did say at the beginning:

The house that I am to build will be great, for our God is greater than all gods. But who is able to build him a house, since heaven, even highest heaven, cannot contain him? Who am I to build a house for him, except as a place to make offerings before him? (2:5–6)

This is an attitude of detachment. It is not about Solomon but about God. This man willingly asked God for a helper, a man “skilled to work in gold, silver, bronze, and iron, and in purple, crimson, and blue fabrics, trained also in engraving, to be with the skilled workers who are with me . . . .” and asked for “cedar, cypress, and algum timber from Lebanon” for he knew whatever God gave would be amazing. He did not mind sharing the task either, for it was not for himself but for God’s glory.

The helper God sent said: “Blessed be the Lord God of Israel, who made heaven and earth, who has given King David a wise son, who has discretion and understanding . . . .” (2:12–13) He recognized the source of Solomon’s wisdom.

God then blessed him with whatever timber he needed and its delivery. The house was lined with gold and had carved cherubim on the walls. The altar was bronze. Every detail was beautiful as well as functional and most of it was overlaid with gold. His helper also made the pots, the shovels, and the basins. All the vessels were gold — the snuffers, basins, dishes for incense, and fire pans, the sockets of the temple, the inner doors to the Most Holy Place and the doors of the nave of the temple. The result of asking for wisdom was amazing!

Whatever I do does not compare to the temple in glory, yet God wants me to follow Solomon’s example, whether I am making a quilt, baking a cake, visiting a shut-in, writing a text or this blog, or answering the phone. He says, “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

All of life is an opportunity to glorify the Author of Life. Doing everything with this attitude is blessed, and the results are far more surprising and wonderful than merely doing something for personal gain, or even just doing it because it needs to be done, like eating and drinking.

And all of this makes me realize how slow I am to learn and remember the truths of God, and to simply bloom where He plants me.

 

No comments: