December 7, 2022

Joy in reading Genealogies?

READ 1 Chronicles 1–5

Yesterday felt like a climax to two difficult weeks. The temperature outside was dismal, but we needed groceries and another item, so out I went, thankful for a remote starter and a vehicle with a heater made for Siberia. The entire trip was amazing. Heavy traffic, but all green lights and whenever I needed space to merge, etc. there were no cars even close. I uttered thanks to God over and over, even for parking spaces near the door in crowded lots.

Today’s reading says that 1 Chronicles was probably written to reassure the returned exiles of God’s faithfulness toward his people. After yesterday, it is not difficult to realize how some of them may have felt about that reassurance. However, all five chapters are filled with names. Genealogies are easy to skim, mostly meaningless to modern readers. Yet I asked for daily bread and God fed my mind with a few encouraging thoughts.

From this passage, I see that just as their kings lived and died, so will our political leaders. Those that wage war and promote havoc in my world will pass on and others take their place:

These are the kings who reigned in the land of Edom before any king reigned over the people of Israel: Bela the son of Beor . . . . Bela died, and Jobab the son of Zerah of Bozrah reigned in his place. Jobab died, and Husham . . . reigned in his place. (1 Chronicles 1:43–45)

So don’t fret about the upsetting politics and seemingly insane decisions happening right now. This too shall pass.

Years ago, someone did a genealogy of two couples. One couple were criminals and for generations, their children followed that path, many dying in disgrace. The other couple were Christians who feared God. Their offspring included statesmen, college professors, doctors, and other leaders who benefited their communities. A general reading of these chapters in 1 Chronicles gives the same sense of many notable offspring in the family of God, even if only a few are singled out:

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers; and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!” And God granted what he asked. (4:9–10)

Others were named and called “princes in their clans” meaning leaders, and saying of them: “their fathers’ houses increased greatly” because they journeyed “to seek pasture for their flocks, where they found rich, good pasture, and the land was very broad, quiet, and peaceful . . . .” (4:38–40)

Other leaders were mentioned for “defeating the remnant of the Amalekites who had escaped” and taking over their land (4:42–43) and for multiplied livestock, defeating enemies and living well. It was said that they “cried out to God in the battle, and he granted their urgent plea because they trusted in him.” (5:9–20)

Not all of them were heads of their fathers’ houses, mighty warriors, or famous men for some “broke faith with the God of their fathers, and whored after the gods of the peoples of the land, whom God had destroyed before them.” For this, “the God of Israel stirred up the spirit of Pul king of Assyria, the spirit of Tiglath-pileser king of Assyria, and he took them into exile.” (5:24–26)

Today I woke without ambition or a desire to get up. I sang, thanked God again for yesterday’s blessings, but still felt listless. However, reading this big picture review of OT history and the names of hundreds of people reminds me of God’s sovereign care and that He keeps track. My name is in His book of life.

Also, doing His will is important, even if at times I cannot see why. He will hear and answer my prayers and keep me from harm. He will also walk me through even the most dull chores on my to-do list. He can even give me joy in the doing, a joy that I already sense bubbling up because I know He is writing down who I am and what I do — because I am one of His forever family and for reasons I do not know, even the smallest steps of obedience are important to Him.

Lord, one day I will meet all those people named in 1 Chronicles 1–5 and we will praise You together with boundless joy. That thought also adds another reason to be enthusiastic about serving You this chilly Wednesday.

 

No comments: