December 30, 2022

Power, not fear . . .

 

READ John 11-16

An Internet search for ‘greatest fears’ surprised me; most of the hits did not mention fear of dying. Is this denial? No one wants to talk about being terminal. The fear seems to be there  and governing how we deal with life.

The Bible says: “Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, (Jesus) himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery.” (Hebrews 2:14–15)

Fear is a slave that makes us do odd things. We’ve seen it during this pandemic and in less horrors, like jumping up on a table at the sight of a mouse. In contrast, the Word of God says that “God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” (2 Timothy 1:7) This means that God’s Spirit gives us incredible assurance:

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)

Knowing that death no longer has power over me is integral to the Gospel — Jesus died that I might live forever! Before He died and rose again, Jesus showed His power over death by raising a widow’s son from his coffin and raising Lazarus from the dead. He told this man’s sister:

“I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he dies yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die . . . .” (John 11:25–26)

Then Jesus, deeply moved again, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, by this time there will be an odor, for he has been dead four days.” Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this on account of the people standing around, that they may believe that you sent me.” When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.” The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.” (11:38–44)

After this, some believed in Him, but some were afraid He would cause them loss of political power so plotted His death — blind to His power over death. But Mary wasn’t. She anointed Him with expensive perfume in preparation of his dying. The people rejoiced too, for a while.

Jesus talked about death in a way that challenges all fears, not about physical dying as much as death to our sinful way of life:

“The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life . . . . Whoever believes in me, believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness. (12: 23–25; 44–46)

He showed what that life would be like when He washed His disciples’ feet and told them to love one another and that by that love “all people will know that you are My disciples.” He knew Peter would fail. He knows we are not perfect. Living for Him is about Him, not our ratings. He assures that, “Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.” (14:13–14)

He also promised the Holy Spirit’s help to live for Him and to give us His love. Being loved by God is enough to overcome whatever I might fear. It enables me to love Him and “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word.” He is my vine, my source, my ability to be fruitful and not fail in life. He grants all that is needed — including no fear of death. The world may hate me, but Jesus promised peace in tribulation because He has also overcome the world. No fear, no fear!

I almost burst with joy at the wonder of this freedom from fear. Nothing can harm me unless the will of God plans to use it to shape me. Whatever I do, even the mistakes I make, cannot destroy the power of Christ in me, or rob me of the love of God through my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Bless the Lord, oh my soul! Amen.

 

No comments: