December 3, 2022

Only by God’s Spirit

 

READ Zechariah 1–4

Haggai encouraged the returned Jewish exiles to rebuild the temple. Zechariah encouraged them to repent and renew their covenant with God so they would be ready to worship in that rebuilt temple. He was also concerned about social justice for widows, orphans, and foreigners. There was opposition from the pagans living in Judea, so he reassured them of God’s care. Some of what Zechariah says sounds like the prophecies of the last days recorded in the NT book of Revelation. His words rekindled Messianic hope in the promise that the Lord would eventually rule the whole earth.

Zechariah told the people to “Sing and rejoice” for the Lord said He would “come and dwell in your midst” and that “many nations shall join themselves to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people.” They would know that the Lord sent this prophet to them. (Zechariah 2:10–11)

Zechariah also describes an angel speaking to Joshua, the priest . . .

“Thus says the Lord of hosts: If you will walk in my ways and keep my charge, then you shall rule my house and have charge of my courts, and I will give you the right of access among those who are standing here. Hear now, O Joshua the high priest, you and your friends who sit before you, for they are men who are a sign: behold, I will bring my servant the Branch. (3:6–8)

This mention of the Branch is a term used also by Isaiah and Jeremiah and in all references points to Jesus. Like the other prophets, the words of Zechariah are about the current time when they were written but also point to the end of time still ahead of us.

The most familiar verse from these chapters is this word from the Lord to Zerubbabel: “Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts.” (4:6)

As my devotional book says, spiritual and physical victory does not come by human strength. Our human nature tends to trust more in ourselves and our ways than in the Lord. Isaiah 53:6 says this is the essence of sin — trusting me instead of God. I know my strength is small, but even those who can exercise great strength, their might is meaningless, even hopelessly puny next to what the Lord God Almighty can do.

Nor does victory does not come by power. This adds to the idea of physical strength by covering mental abilities, perhaps also status and a place of political clout or prominence or power in other realms. Whatever these words mean, both are reminders of the story of David and Goliath. Human reasoning would see David as a loser. He was not experienced in battle and physically weaker than the giant. Goliath seemed the obvious winner; he had put fear in the hearts of Israel’s army. Yet David challenged and defeated him because of his faith in the Lord.

True victory comes from and through God’s Spirit and being totally surrendered to the Lord. He can use natural means to provide victories, yet divine intervention happens. Remember Daniel in the den of lions!

My husband is battling Covid. He has other issues that lower his immune system so this virus could easily take his life. His doctor is trying untested methods, but even he knows that this situation cannot be conquered by might, power, or pills. We are looking to God for divine intervention.

This timely reading encourages me to trust God; He is our strength, and His Spirit can do what seems impossible. As I look into His dear face, I see kindness and goodness. His will be done is in my heart too, knowing that this could mean healing by His power but also that He could take my hubby home where there is no more sorrow or sickness. Whatever He does, it will be far beyond human might or power. True victory over this enemy or any other comes from grace and the goodness of God’s Almighty Spirit.

 

No comments: