December 11, 2022

The Lord does the numbering . . .

 

READ 1 Chronicles 21–25

This reading gives me a big picture view of some spiritual principles.

First, God’s people are in a spiritual battle. I need to pray and fight this war with them, not stay home like David did when “Joab led out the army and ravaged the country of the Ammonites and came and besieged Rabbah.” Even though Joab won the battle, his king was not with him. (1 Chronicles 20:1)

Second, not fighting the battle makes me open to the temptation of relying on my own strength:

Then Satan stood against Israel and incited David to number Israel. So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army, “Go, number Israel, from Beersheba to Dan, and bring me a report, that I may know their number.” But Joab said, “May the Lord add to his people a hundred times as many as they are! Are they not, my lord the king, all of them my lord’s servants? Why then should my lord require this? Why should it be a cause of guilt for Israel?” But the king’s word prevailed against Joab. So Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came back to Jerusalem.

Joab found this command abhorrent and didn’t completely fulfill it. David’s numbering represented a trust in his own numbers. God certainly displeased. (21:1-6)

Third, the consequences of prayerlessness and trusting my own resources can have huge consequences. David repented and said, “I have sinned greatly in that I have done this thing. But now, please take away the iniquity of your servant, for I have acted very foolishly.” At this, the Lord offered him a choice of three consequences (something I rarely get for my disobedience), and David choose pestilence rather than famine or attacks from his enemies. Because of his sin, 70,000 men of Israel fell. (21:7–17)

Could it be that the human claim that we control the climate (and a host of other things) has resulted in God showing us that we cannot control anything? Could my prayerlessness be part of that enormous consequence?

Fourth, whatever I offer to God will cost me something. God told David to “raise an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite.” Ornan offered it freely, but David said, “No, but I will buy them for the full price. I will not take for the Lord what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing.” He built the altar “and presented burnt offerings and peace offerings and called on the Lord, and the Lord answered him with fire from heaven upon the altar of burnt offering. Then the Lord commanded the angel, and he put his sword back into its sheath.” (21:24–27)

Sometimes I don’t pray because I have other things to do, but could it be that the cost of giving up my silly priorities keeps me from praying and that prayerlessness results in God not doing anything about those things that require prayer to be made right?

Fifth, Jesus gave His people all we need to do the work He wants us to do. This is pictured in David who realized Solomon’s restored place of worship would be “exceedingly magnificent, of fame and glory throughout all lands” so he provided materials in great quantity before his death and with great sacrifice: 100,000 talents of gold, a million talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond weighing, timber and stone, and told his son to add an “abundance of workmen: stonecutters, masons, carpenters, and all kinds of craftsmen without number, skilled in working gold, silver, bronze, and iron. Arise and work! The Lord be with you” and he commanded all the leaders of Israel to help with the worship: the priests, Levites, chiefs of service, musicians who prophesied and were “trained in singing to the Lord . . . small and great, teacher and pupil alike.”

Jesus provides the people and the resources, all that we need to accomplish what He desires. Our part is joyful obedience, beginning with prayer and total reliance on Him, wary of the awful consequences of not doing our part, and being willing to count the cost and make sacrifices, willing to drop what I think is important to do whatever He asks me to do.

It is easy to think my part is too small, or insignificant, or that God does not need me. It is easy to get busy with chores, fun stuff, or other things that take prayer out of my mind. When I do that, I’m not going to war with God’s army. Sometimes I slide into self-evaluation. Whether the result is high or low, it is a sin to turn from the resources I have in Christ and think that I can do it without Him, or that I can’t do much of anything anyway. This battle, this life, is not about me. It is about the Lord and serving Him in total trust.

Besides all that, prayer is demanding. It takes time and can be emotionally draining. If I am not willing to sacrifice to do it, have I considered the consequences? Not nearly enough . . .

 

No comments: