December 23, 2022

Verse by verse, hearing Him speak . . .

READ Luke 5-8

God speaks to me each time I read His Word. This is what He points out about Jesus for today:

Luke 5:1-11. When the disciples realized Jesus could increase their fishing catch at a time of day when it seemed impossible, they left everything and followed Him.

12-16. Jesus healed a man “full of leprosy” and when the news got out, “great crowds gathered to hear Him and be healed” but He withdrew to desolate places and prayed.

17-26. Friends brought a paralyzed man to be healed, but before Jesus healed him, He said, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.” This shows that His priority is forgiving sin where ours is often being healthy!

27-32. When Jesus called Levi to follow Him, this tax collector left everything and did it. Such is the power of Jesus’ calling.

33-39. Fasting is for times of need, not a mere discipline for bodily control. That tells me this is not a diet plan but about being totally given to prayer that eating doesn’t come to mind.

Luke 6:1-5. Jesus guides my sabbath activities, not traditions, church or family rules, and not my own ideas of what it means to rest or to worship Him.

6-11. Jesus wants me to consider the bigger picture of loving others rather than be caught up in doing things that might make others impressed with me.

12-16. The bigger the decision, the more important it is to spend time with God and know His will.

17-19. I want people to reach out to Jesus. In touching Him, they will be made whole.

20-23. It is those of us who follow Jesus who ae poor, hungry, weeping, and hated. Yet we are also part of His kingdom, satisfied, joyful, and anticipating great reward.

24-26. Those who are rich, full, laughing now, and well-spoken of, that is all they will get. Later it will be hunger, mourning, weeping, and realizing they were blessed in this life only for things that have no eternal value.

27-36. This is what has eternal value:

But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them . . . . But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.

37-42. Add to that, forgiving and loving others rather than judging and condemning. Generosity, being like Jesus. Taking care of my own sin rather than trying to fix others because I am just as sinful as they are.

43-45. If my heart is right, so will be my actions.

46-49. Obedience gives a solid foundation for lasting goodness.

Luke 7:1-10. Faith realizes I’m not worthy. Faith knows the power of Jesus to hear my pleas.

11-17. Seeing Jesus’ grace glorifies God. Be sure to tell others of His power and goodness.

18-35. Even God’s prophets can have doubts. Share with everyone what I know about the things Jesus has done, even those who serve Him.

36-50. The more I realize my sin, the more I love Jesus for saving and forgiving me, and the more I am willing to pour out to Him whatever I have.

Luke 8:1-3. Forgiven people are generous with what we have, taking care of others.

4-8. Use parables to catch attention, remembering that . . .

9-15  . . . sometimes even other Christians may not ‘get it’ and need an explanation.

16-18. Let my light shine. Also remember the importance of listening to what Jesus says!

19-21. I belong to a physical family yet also an eternal family of those who hear and obey God.

22-25. Jesus controls the weather; we don’t.

26-39. Some of the craziness going on in the world is demonically sourced. Only Jesus can deal with demons. Unless He drives them out, nothing else can bring victims to their “right mind” and sitting at His feet.

40-56. No interruptions can stop Jesus from doing what He intends to do. I’m “not to fear, only believe.” He has power over all things, including death.

From all this, Luke 7:24-26 strikes me the most. I’ve sometimes been envious of other with better or more of this or that than I have, but Jesus says watch that I’m not putting too much value on things that will not last. Those who have them are able to enjoy these things in this life, but that is their only reward. I can be glad for their enjoyment, but envy is sinful. Being reminded of this takes a weight off me as I confess it and experience God’s grace to cleanse away that attitude. This seems like a heavenly Christmas gift  — and I thank You, Jesus.

 

No comments: