August 19, 2020

Prayer and Politicians

 

1 Samuel 11; Psalm 25; Jeremiah 48; Romans 9

With an American election coming up, considerable leadership issues in Canada, and even worse in many other parts of the world, praying for leaders becomes increasingly important. Most people find it easier to complain about their politicians but God commands me to pray.

“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:1–4)

Unfortunately, even those who are praying are thinking more about restoration to “the good life” which could include “peaceful and quiet” but not necessarily “godly and dignified.”

Not only that, when I pray, I find it difficult to know how. Today’s political leaders are not peaceful, quiet, godly or dignified. They seem more interested in opposites of these things. How does God want me to intercede for them? Or to be thankful for them?

Psalm 25 is a prayer written by a king. In it, David prays his desires as a “man after God’s own heart” and shows what kinds of things he was concerned about. This helps me know how to pray . . . 

Ask God to be merciful toward them:
Remember your mercy, O LORD, and your steadfast love, for they have been from of old. (Psalm 25:6)
Ask the Holy Spirit to help them acknowledge and confess their sins:
Remember not the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O LORD! (Psalm 25:7)
For your name’s sake, O LORD, pardon my guilt, for it is great. (Psalm 25:11)
Consider my affliction and my trouble and forgive all my sins. (Psalm 25:18)
 
Ask that they seek, know and obey the ways of God. Ask God to lead and teach them His ways:
Make me to know your ways, O LORD; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long. (Psalm 25:4–5)
Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right and teaches the humble his way. (Psalm 25:8–9)
The friendship of the LORD is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant. (Psalm 25:14) 
 
Ask that God will produce in them integrity and an upright life:
All the paths of the LORD are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep his covenant and his testimonies. (Psalm 25:10)
His soul shall abide in well-being, and his offspring shall inherit the land. (Psalm 25:13)
May integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for you. (Psalm 25:21)
Ask that leaders are never put to shame but delivered from sin and from enemies and those who hate them:
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. O my God, in you I trust; let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me. Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame; they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous. (Psalm 25:1–3)
My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he will pluck my feet out of the net. (Psalm 25:15)
Consider how many are my foes, and with what violent hatred they hate me. Oh, guard my soul, and deliver me! Let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. (Psalm 25:19–20)
Ask God for grace in their loneliness and afflictions:
Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses. (Psalm 25:16–17)

Ask God to give them an unselfish concern for the troubles plaguing those they govern:

Redeem Israel, O God, out of all his troubles. (Psalm 25:22)

APPLY: Pray for those in places of authority. Times are perilous and full of uncertainty. Truth has become an opinion and honesty is held in suspicion. Self-interest is strong even as many stand up for issues. God and Jesus Christ are swear words and the church is ridiculed. Our government is not trusted or blindly trusted. Common sense seems rarer than ever. How to pray is a challenge yet the Word of God is full of examples. May the Lord hear and respond to prayer based on His Word.

 

 

No comments: