August 3, 2020

God owns the future . . .


Judges 17; Jeremiah 30–31; Mark 16; Acts 21

Thousands of people rely on horoscopes, fortune tellers, even political pundits to tell them what the future holds so they can prepare in advance and not suffer in any way because of it. Many people also worry about the future, not knowing what lies ahead but fearing the worst. At least one of the spiritual gifts that Christians have includes the characteristic of future thinking, with little concern about the past or even current issues but focused on what to do tomorrow and in the days ahead.

The Word of God has something to say about each of these. Aside from prophesies that He gives through His godly prophets, God says to avoid future predictions. James 4:13-14 says, “You do not know what tomorrow will bring” and we really don’t.

It also tells us not to fear the future. Jesus said so because God knows what we need and we are to: “Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:33-34)

As for the past, it is good to put our concerns behind us as we confess our sin and turn to God’s ways, yet also good to learn from past mistakes, not to dwell on them in excess but to let the past give us hope  . . .

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. (Romans 15:4)

It seems to me that thinking about NOW is the best idea. What do I do with this moment, this time? How do I plan this day based on the Word of God and the responsibilities He gives me? One step at a time takes me to the next step.

I remember hearing missionary author, writer and speaker Elisabeth Elliot at a conference. A woman asked her about her time management and busy schedule. She said, “I just do the next thing — and I always know what it is.” This was before that concept became title for one of her books. She also said that we always have time to do the will of God.

One of my hubby’s favorite verses is Proverbs 16:9. He is one of those ‘thinking ahead’ people, so much so that he sometimes misses what is happening right now, but this quality makes him a great administrator. At the same time, he realizes the truth of this wise statement:

“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9)

In my way of thinking, I do make plans but they are more like dreams. Some of them get on a to-do list, yet if they don’t get done, I can check them off as easily as if they did. The older I get the easier it is to consider interruptions as part of God’s plan for me that day. (Well, I might make an exception for scam telephone calls, but how I handle them is important to God. Another favorite quote from Elisabeth Elliot is this: “God will not protect you from anything that will make you more like Jesus.” She helps me remember that the Lord wants my gracious response to annoyance instead of selfish anger.)

Today’s regular readings prompted all these thoughts, particularly Acts 21. Paul is all over the place and making plans to go to Jerusalem. Christians are telling him “through the Spirit” that he should not go there (verse 4). One of them says the Jews in that city will bind him and deliver him to the Gentiles (verse 11). However, Paul answers:

“What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” (Acts 21:13)

In a special situation, God revealed this man’s future, but rather than trying to avoid it, he walked right into it. This tells me two things: One is that no one can change what God says is going to happen. God might — as when He changed His plan for Nineveh after Jonah finally decided to do what he was told, but normally those ‘plans’ are not future-telling but warnings.

The second is that Paul trusted Jesus so much that he was not concerned about the danger awaiting him. He was willing to do what the Lord wanted him to do, no matter the cost.

For those who don’t know the story, Elisabeth Elliot’s first husband did the same. He approached a tribe of hostile people who responded by murdering him. She later returned to that same group and led many of them to Jesus, including the man who killed her husband.

APPLY: It is better not to know what tomorrow will bring. I’m not sure I would handle that knowledge as well as Paul, particularly if it included what happened to Elisabeth’s husband, but I can face today. It has enough challenges of its own and I know that God holds this day and all my days in His loving hands.

 

 

 

No comments: