August 18, 2020

Three kings

  

1 Samuel 10; Psalms 23–24; Jeremiah 47; Romans 8

The first king in Israel was Saul. He had the wrong lineage according to the line that God said would bring them their king. He majored on minors, was given whatever he needed to rule but didn’t use it well or at all. He presumed he could break the rules. He was not a kingly guy even though he looked good on camera. Some people liked him for that reason. History repeats itself but I will not name names.

The second king was David. He had the right lineage. He knew what was important and even though he fell into sin with a woman, he repented and asked forgiveness. He was kingly but different from Saul in that he sought the heart of God and praised the Lord at every opportunity. He was also handsome but that wasn’t a factor. Those who resisted righteousness also hated David and tried to kill him.

The third king in today’s readings is Jesus. He also cared about righteousness and was the only person ever to live without sin. Sent from heaven to set His people free from the penalty and power of sin, He was different than any other king. The Scriptures say “He had no beauty that we should desire Him” yet those who follow this King are loyal, some to the point of being willing to die rather than renounce Him. Those who hated Him put Him on a cross but He didn’t stay dead. He rose from the grave and now reigns in glory. He gives Himself to those who trust Him and with that gift, eternal life. Three kings and more, but none like this One. I read Romans 8 with deep delight. It tells me what King Jesus has done for me:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you. (Romans 8:1–11)

No condemnation. Freedom. The ability to walk under the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit. Able to please God, the One to whom I now belong. Christ lives in me and because of Him, I will live eternally.

Not only that, in this life my King helps me with everything, reminding me I am God’s child and God is my Father. He gives me hope for the future and help in my weaknesses. He is changing me into His image and graciously gives me all that I need. No matter how powerful Saul became or how godly David lived, no other king can do what King Jesus can do. And nothing can separate me from His love.

APPLY: Urge others to read about Jesus, bow before Jesus, honor Jesus as their King and as the only One who can set us free from the tyranny of our selfishness and sin. Be an example. Live as a child of this precious King and let others see the delight and safety of His presence and protection. What can I say? He is all that I need and more. I love You King Jesus.

 

No comments: