August 30, 2020

Two Paths — Choose One

 

1 Samuel 23; Psalm 38; Ezekiel 2; 1 Corinthians 4

 I’m continually amazed at the way the Word of God lines up these daily readings to speak specifically to my situation. Like a mystery writer fashions a plot, it seems that the Author of life knows exactly how to put me in places where He can give me truth that speaks for my needs at that time. The Greek word is rhema: a word suited to the situation at hand.

In a dream a Christian friend told me that others were having trouble with a truth I often repeated — that we are not able to do anything apart from Christ. In Him we bear fruit, but in the flesh we do not. Many Christians are stressed when told to put aside self-effort and be filled with the Spirit. This dream made me think how important it is that I recognize the difference between walking in the Spirit and walking in the flesh.

The first reading illustrates this in two men, Saul and David. Saul wanted to kill David and David wanted to do the will of God, whether that meant resisting Saul or fleeing from him. Spirit-filled people seek the will of God before acting and are not wanting to destroy those God is blessing.

David prays to God about how devastated and sorry he us about his own sin and how his enemy wrongfully hates him:

Those who render me evil for good accuse me because I follow after good. Do not forsake me, O Lord! O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation! (Psalm 38:20–22)

Self-rule is seldom concerned about God’s thoughts. Sin is not recognized nor confessed. However, a spirit-filled person seeks the heart of God and God’s protection knowing that they are weak and unable to protect themselves.

God called Israel a nation of rebels, impudent and stubborn. He told Ezekiel to speak to them and “whether they hear or refuse to hear, they will know that a prophet has been among them.” He added:

And you, son of man, be not afraid of them, nor be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns are with you and you sit on scorpions. Be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. And you shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear, for they are a rebellious house. (Ezekiel 2:6–7)

The spirit-filled person is willing to challenge even his kinsmen, God’s chosen people, and willing to experience great discomfort and the reality of being ignored. Truth hurts. Fleshy, stubborn people may reject and even persecute a spirit-filled spokesman who tells them the truth. That hurts even more.

However, God says to this man: “But you, son of man, hear what I say to you. Be not rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you.” (Ezekiel 2:8) The person who is relying on God will not fall into self-serving rebellion like those he is warning. He must obey, no matter the cost.

1 Corinthians 4 begins with another description of people who serve the Lord:

Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God. (1 Corinthians 4:2–5)

The spirit-filled believer may not always know his own heart so he tries not to evaluate himself. He knows he is prone to error. He also says, “I do not write these things to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children.”(1 Corinthians 4:14) This indicates his heart is more concerned with restoration than shaming those who are in the flesh. He wants them to live for the Lord and realizes his approach could be gentle or harsh. He asks (and wonders) of them: “What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?” (1 Corinthians 4:21)

APPLY: Speaking the truth in love is important. It requires wisdom and grace. Loving others means wanting the best for them. Who am I to know what is best? A rod? Or gentleness? Without the Holy Spirit, I’ve no clue and even with the Spirit, the ways of God can be a mystery and what He uses an enigma. Walking by faith is always challenging — no wonder it requires being filled with the Holy Spirit!

No comments: