August 22, 2020

So much need for a changed life

 

1 Samuel 14; Psalm 30; Jeremiah 51; Romans 12

Saul was the first king elected by the Old Testament people of Israel. He was like some leaders today who come up with plans that seem to ignore the consequences. For instance, in a battle with their enemies, he made two thoughtless decisions.

Before he did it, his son Jonathan trusted God for victory against a segment of the enemy army. He was only with his armor-bearer and told him they could trust the Lord because “nothing could hinder Him from saving by many or by few.” After God gave them victory, Saul determined to go after the remaining enemy army without knowing Jonathan had put them to fleeing. He decided his men should not eat until they won the battle, as if that would ensure their willingness to fight. They became faint, but Saul decided to kill anyone who defied his orders, not realizing that Jonathan had eaten some honey. In the end the army defend Jonathan even though his father was ready to kill him, another senseless decision.

Later, David became king. He was different. He cried to God for help and relied on His guidance. His psalms reveal his attitude as a “man after God’s own heart” and a person who often put the needs of others over his own . . .

“I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.” (Psalm 30:1–2)

David wasn’t sinless. He took another man’s wife and had her husband killed in battle. But he sought forgiveness as did others, yet he didn’t revert to his old ways time after time as many others did. Instead, he continually cried out to God.

The prophet Jeremiah also shows his heart for God by his attitude toward evil. Chapter 51 is a long prophecy of what will happen to Babylon. Even though God used this nation to discipline His people, He was going to destroy them because they defied Him and worshiped idols. Jeremiah said of them:

Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, for his images are false, and there is no breath in them. They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish. (Jeremiah 51:17–18)

The entire OT describes the condition of humanity. Sin started early and affected everyone. To this day, it still does. It is at the root of every problem on the planet. But it does not need to be . . .

The NT tells of Jesus who came to give new life to those who seek God and righteousness. Faith in Him produces changed hearts. Romans 12 describes how believers are characterized by yielding to God, seeking His will, thinking differently than the rest of the world, functioning by the inner motivations or spiritual gifts that God gives, loving and honoring one another, zealous for godliness, striving to meet the needs of people around them, not proud or wise in their own eyes, living at peace, not characterized by revenge, doing good to all including enemies, and striving to overcome evil with good.

Yet even then, my old nature is lured by selfish desires, peer pressure, and the lies of the devil to go back to living opposite to the wonder of being a child of God. This is the reason the Bible says:

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:1–2)

APPLY: This describes my daily need — to present myself to God and not let the old ways return. Discern His will by reading and studying His Word and doing what it says. The difference from OT life is explained by my devotional guide. It says that the motivating power for this transformation is the Spirit of God, but that magnificent truth does not absolve me of resolve; it empowers it. This is a great truth and the reason that I praise and worship Him. I cannot do any of it without Jesus!

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. (Galatians 2:20)

 

No comments: