August 1, 2020

False prophets?


Judges 15; Jeremiah 28; Mark 14; Acts 19

Throughout history when the going gets tough people wonder if Jesus will soon return. Some, like those in the OT, predict that all will be okay or that all will turn out badly. Most do not realize that making prophesies that do not come to pass is an identifying mark of a false teacher.

Jeremiah was sent by God to tell His people they would be exiled to Babylon and how to behave in that enemy territory. He was challenged by a man named Hananiah who said even if this did happen, everyone would soon return to their homeland. He was challenging God’s prophet but Jeremiah said to him:

The prophets who preceded you and me from ancient times prophesied war, famine, and pestilence against many countries and great kingdoms. As for the prophet who prophesies peace, when the word of that prophet comes to pass, then it will be known that the Lord has truly sent the prophet.” (Jeremiah 28:8–9)

Sometime later, Jeremiah was told by God to give Hananiah this message:

“For thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: I have put upon the neck of all these nations an iron yoke to serve Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and they shall serve him, for I have given to him even the beasts of the field.”

Then Jeremiah said, “Listen, Hananiah, the Lord has not sent you, and you have made this people trust in a lie. Therefore thus says the Lord: ‘Behold, I will remove you from the face of the earth. This year you shall die because you have uttered rebellion against the Lord.’ ” (Jeremiah 28:14–16)

Fast forward to modern times . . .  most Christians are aware that Jesus said no one would know when He would return yet dozens have predicted it, even the exact date. One group, unwilling to admit they were in error, said that He did return “in the spirit” on the day they predicted, but most claimed “further revelation” or had to admit they were wrong.

This year has brought deeply troubled times and I’ve heard several Christians say that perhaps this is the beginning of the end, that Jesus will come soon. This ‘prediction’ gives me mixed emotions. I want Jesus to come soon but at the same time, the world isn’t in as bad a condition as most of the historical situations that produced the same sentiments. Not only that, at times when my personal situation is tough, I want Jesus to come back because I am miserable and want an end to my unpleasant circumstances. I suspect that many who say this is the ‘beginning of the end’ are in the same frame of mind; they just want the end of their discomfort.

Hananiah didn’t fare too well. In the same year he  was rebuked by Jeremiah, he died. I would not want that to happen to the false prophets of today but it is a warning. I should never suppose that I know anything about what God will do and when He will do it. If He reveals His actions to me, that is one thing but to make guesses about it, especially based on personal preference, is not a good idea.

Yesterday I was supposed to read Mark 13 but for some reason read the next chapter. Now, going back to read it, it is Jesus’ words about when the end of the age will come. Jesus says:

“See that no one leads you astray. Many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he!’ and they will lead many astray. And when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be alarmed. This must take place, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. These are but the beginning of the birth pains. But be on your guard. For they will deliver you over to councils, and you will be beaten in synagogues, and you will stand before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them. And the gospel must first be proclaimed to all nations. And when they bring you to trial and deliver you over, do not be anxious beforehand what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour, for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. And brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death. And you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.” (Mark 13:5–13)

He gives more indications that clarify we cannot assume that this pandemic is a sign of the end. He only tells us to “Be on guard, keep awake . . . lest he come suddenly an find you asleep.” (Mark 13:35-36)

APPLY: I can do that. I can be alert, pay attention, do what He tells me. Don’t assume I know anything but don’t let being in the dark mean that it is time to go to sleep!

 

 

 

 

No comments: