August 23, 2020

Stop Presuming . . .

 

1 Samuel 15; Psalm 31; Jeremiah 52; Romans 13

Webster’s dictionary says that presumption means the act of believing upon probable evidence; the act of assuming or taking for granted; belief upon incomplete proof. Presumption usually gets us in trouble. In the case of Saul, it has overtones that brought him to the loss of his position as king.

Through Samuel, God instructed this ancient king to destroy an enemy without sparing anyone or even their animals. Saul spared the ‘good’ stuff and their leader, then lying to Samuel that he had done what God told him to do. Whatever his reasoning, he showed himself unfit to be Israel’s king. Samuel said to him:

“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and presumption is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has also rejected you from being king.” (1 Samuel 15:22–23)

While this story must be considered in context, part of Samuel’s judgment strikes me as contemporary and relevant. The words: “presumption is as iniquity and idolatry” are important because presumption and faith are so easily confused, even by sincere followers of Jesus Christ.

The main OT example concerns the idea that “God told me . . . .” This line is often said these days, yet the OT says: “But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in my name that I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that same prophet shall die.” (Deuteronomy 18:20)

Preachers and laymen alike can assume their ideas are from God and verbally defend them without the Holy Spirit giving them direction to do so. Some biblically illiterate people will repeat the ideas of cults and other religions as if they came from God even though the Bible says otherwise. This is presumption and clearly not pleasing to the Lord, even though those who say, “God told me . . . .” are often sincere.

Another example is presuming that God’s direct commands can be defied and He does not care. We have been ‘forgiven’ so it doesn’t matter what we do. Presumption puts God to the test by being reckless or disobedient. It also assumes God will act no matter what I am doing.

Some of this shows up in responses to this pandemic. For example, Romans 13 says Christians must obey our governing leaders because He puts them in place to control evil. We have laws and police to protect us from those who would do us harm yet some want to get rid of them and presume they don’t matter even if God put them in authority.

On the other hand, the Bible also says God is not the author of fear so we don’t have to fear the virus, or the authorities or anything else, presuming He will not allow anything bad to happen to us. That can be like the disciples who refused to stop sharing the gospel because they wanted to obey God rather than man or it can be presumption that authorities cannot interfere with worship so we can ignore their rules completely. Some presume that the blood of Christ protects us from all evil. Others presume that if they wash their hands every twenty minutes, they will be okay. The list goes on.

Samuel’s judgment on presumption speaks to me about something beyond the pandemic issues. I once thought that I had to talk others into believing the Gospel. God showed me that was presumption. Then I went to the other extreme and presumed I could pray for Him to save people then sit back and watch it happen. Neither presumption tells the whole story!

In some cases God can tell me to ”be still and know that I am God” and in other situations to speak up because they need to hear His truth. I relate to Jeremiah, a reluctant prophet who preferred God did things without him. However, I also relate to Saul who wanted to do things his way yet include hypocritical religious overtones because he presumed no one would see through the smoke and mirrors. I can talk big and walk small. I can pray as if I trust God to do it all even when disobeying His direct commands to do what I’m asking Him to do. Presumption is not easy to identify without being brutally honest with myself.

APPLY: These thoughts amplify the reason God tells me to “Pray without ceasing.” Not only that, “Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” (Hebrews 11:1) It is based on what God says, not on what I think. The challenge is discerning the difference, and for that I need to keep reading what He says for in doing that, He shows me where I need faith and where I must stop presuming!

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

 

 

No comments: