January 7, 2020

Want a rule for life? Try this one . . .


Genesis 7; Matthew 7; Ezra 7; Acts 7

Today’s reading is about two well-known Bible passages: John 3:16 and Matthew 7:1. However, the one that catches my attention is also familiar. We call it the Golden Rule . . .
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.” (Matthew 7:12–14)
My first thought is how different the world would be if we lived out this rule, but would it? Would everyone agree on the best way to be treated? A child has different ideas than a parent. A greedy employee has different ideas than his boss. Women have different wants than men.

Not only would those differences confuse the issue, how many children would give back to their parents what they want for themselves? How many workers would give back to their employer what they would like for themselves. How many women would treat their husbands the way they want to be treated? I’m generalizing, but in thinking about it, the Golden Rule is not as easier as it looks.

The context offers one explanation. Jesus said to enter by the narrow gate. He is talking about the narrow way to eternal life, that life that is abundant and comes from Him. The broad way (trying to run my own life) leads to destruction. The narrow way is narrow because few find it. Jesus adds more . . .
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’” (Matthew 7:21–23)
The goodness that the Golden Rule refers to is a goodness that comes from and flows through people who know God. This is not merely knowing about God but having a personal relationship with Him through redemption and the new birth. Jesus also said:
And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. (John 17:3)
Those with that kind of life are able to pass it on without selfish motivations. Otherwise, living by the Golden Rule becomes a “what’s in it for me” way of life. Anyone who is ‘nice’ to me because they want something makes me feel used and disrespected and I’m sure that goes both waysl

How do I want others to treat me? this is a great question. I want them to listen when I talk to them, respect my thoughts and opinions, correct me or at least question my errors, pray for me when I come to mind, bring me soup when I am sick. The list is longer, but this is enough to keep me busy for a long time!


No comments: