January 11, 2020

I am what I am because —


Genesis 12; Nehemiah 1; Matthew 11; Acts 11

We have a young relative that is into a strange system of worship. It includes mystical creatures, drugs, a great deal of focus on self-love, and yet a toleration of other ‘religions’ which seems more like a way of avoiding any wisdom that might be gleaned from them. After reading today’s Scriptures, I went online and found a ‘doctrinal statement’ for this belief system. Then I found another one that revealed it is mostly an excuse to live an immoral life, and a blog by someone who ‘belongs’ and says they don’t really believe it but it is ‘fun.’ None of these seemed aware that their belief system was making shambles of their lives.

The Bible is more helpful in making connections between what I believe and how I behave. In fact, if my behavior goes awry, the Holy Spirit pushes me toward a flaw in my faith that is at the root of it. Today’s readings pointed me again to the idea that toxic thinking affects lifestyle and can, at the very least, cause my life to be wasted.

The passage in Matthew told how John the Baptist wound up in prison because he was calling people to repent and trust God. Jesus arrived on the scene and this man was wondering if he’d been doing the right thing. Was Jesus the Messiah or had he made a mistake? Jesus heard of his questions and said;

“Go and tell John what you hear and see: the blind receive their sight and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, and the dead are raised up, and the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.”

Faith in Jesus was changing lives . . .  Jesus was changing lives. He was the One John pointed toward. However, the crowd was not sure of John. He seemed a bit weird with his coarse clothes and strange messages. Jesus told the crowds;

“What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? What then did you go out to see? A man dressed in soft clothing? Behold, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. What then did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, “ ‘Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.’ Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.”

In other words, don’t judge the way the world judges. The world looks for leaders (and belief systems) who will give them ease, comfort, and whatever they want. God’s prophets are not into that. They tell the truth about spiritual matters and warn people to accept God’s message. They were never well-received and John was no exception.
Jesus continued with an odd statement that requires some thinking. He said;

“From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force. For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John, and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”

The people wanted the kingdom of heaven, but on their terms and established their own way. They were not interested in repentance, in loving God and others, in living sacrificially to serve. Instead, they wanted a god who would indulge them. Nothing else would satisfy them, or so they thought. Jesus described their ideas well . . .

“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to their playmates, “ ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not mourn.’ For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds.” (Matthew 11:2–19)

They were never satisfied, no matter what. Jesus summed this up by saying their choices would show up in the way they lived. The Pharisees wanted rules and their rigid thinking made despots out of them. These people today who worship themselves have become selfish to the point they neglect others and even harm others to get what they think will make them happy.

For me, going my own way never produces anything that lasts very long. Selfishness eventually makes me feel more unloved and unhappy. It fuels the notion that my life has no value and adding to a deeper need to be loved. Drugs do not do it. Telling myself fairy tales does not do it. Only Jesus has the power to save me from this incredible folly of trying to create my own version of heaven.


No comments: