January 23, 2020

Getting Specific with God


Genesis 24; Nehemiah 13; Matthew 23; Acts 23

A friend’s husband likes to go fishing and wanted an upgrade to replace his boat. He found one but it was longer than his garage and she thought it was too expensive. She prayed asking God to change the mind of the seller and help her husband find a shorter boat that was less expensive. A couple of days later, the seller called to say he’d changed his mind and didn’t want to sell the boat. About the same time, hubby found another boat that fit in the garage, was less money, and perfectly suited his needs.

My friend gave herself no credit for her specific prayer. She said God put it into her heart to pray that way. This is not a new thing, not for her or many others and not for a servant of Abraham.

This servant was given the task of going to another country and finding a wife for Isaac. The request was specific; he had to ‘kindred.’ The servant worried that even if he found such a woman, what if she was not willing to come with him and marry a stranger. Abraham let him off the hook should that happen. Then he sent the servant on his way. As this man neared the city where Abraham’s relatives lived, he stopped at a well and prayed:

“O Lord, God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham. Behold, I am standing by the spring of water, and the daughters of the men of the city are coming out to draw water. Let the young woman to whom I shall say, ‘Please let down your jar that I may drink,’ and who shall say, ‘Drink, and I will water your camels’—let her be the one whom you have appointed for your servant Isaac. By this I shall know that you have shown steadfast love to my master.” (Genesis 24:12–14)

Before he finished speaking, an attractive young woman came out and did exactly as the servant requested. He “bowed his head and worshiped the Lord and said, ‘Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken his steadfast love and his faithfulness toward my master. As for me, the Lord has led me in the way to the house of my master’s kinsmen.’” (Genesis 24:26–27)

Nehemiah also prayed specifically. He had the hard task of rebuking sin among the people and insisting that they obey the Lord. He gave reasons for it, but also became physical in his persistence. He prayed the same prayer three times:

Remember me, O my God, concerning this, and do not wipe out my good deeds that I have done for the house of my God and for his service. (Nehemiah 13:14)
Then I commanded the Levites that they should purify themselves and come and guard the gates, to keep the Sabbath day holy. Remember this also in my favor, O my God, and spare me according to the greatness of your steadfast love. (Nehemiah 13:22)
Thus I cleansed them from everything foreign, and I established the duties of the priests and Levites, each in his work; and I provided for the wood offering at appointed times, and for the firstfruits. Remember me, O my God, for good. (Nehemiah 13:30–31)

This leader prayed for a blessing by specifically naming what he had done in obedience. The gospel says we cannot earn the favor of God, but this example tells me that I can request it. This may seem a little brazen, but then I read in Acts what the Lord said to Paul regarding his obedience:

The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.” (Acts 23:11)

God kept His promise. Paul was under arrest by the Romans. His young nephew heard of a plot by the Jews to kill his uncle. He informed Paul who sent him to the tribune or leader of the Roman army in that place. This man outsmarted those who devised the plot and was able to rescue Paul and send him on his way to Rome. The need was specific and so was the answer.

Today we renew our weekly prayer group. I had hoped to plan how I might encourage anyone comes to pray. A specific need, but we had a visitor last night and I ran out of steam. This morning God gives me what I need — real stories about specific prayer for specific needs, heard by God and answered just as they prayed. Lord, today I ask that You bless this time of prayer. Put the words in our hearts and answer those prayers according to Your will.




No comments: