January 25, 2020

No Coincidences?


Genesis 26; Esther 2; Matthew 25; Acts 25

Our favorite television show is NCIS. One of the reasons I like it is that the main character does not believe in coincidences. I don’t either. As a new Christian, one of the first Bible truths I learned was this:

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28–29)

It says “all things” are used by God to make His people like Jesus, me like Jesus. I can remember my delight when I realized that He was in charge of all of life’s events, whether I could see what He had in mind or not. This ties to the idea that there are no coincidences. It also ties to a story in the Old Testament.

The Jews were under the rule of a pagan king. His queen disobeyed him so he gathered all the beautiful young virgins in his kingdom to select a new queen. One of these women was Esther, an orphan raised by a relative named Mordecai. They were Jews but kept that information to themselves.

Now when the virgins were gathered together the second time, Mordecai was sitting at the king’s gate. Esther had not made known her kindred or her people, as Mordecai had commanded her, for Esther obeyed Mordecai just as when she was brought up by him. In those days, as Mordecai was sitting at the king’s gate, Bigthan and Teresh, two of the king’s eunuchs, who guarded the threshold, became angry and sought to lay hands on King Ahasuerus. And this came to the knowledge of Mordecai, and he told it to Queen Esther, and Esther told the king in the name of Mordecai. When the affair was investigated and found to be so, the men were both hanged on the gallows. And it was recorded in the book of the chronicles in the presence of the king. (Esther 2:19–23)

Coincidence? Most would not give this too much thought, but God had His hand in this event. As the story unfolds, one of the king’s servants was promoted. He went on a power trip. When Mordecai refused to bow down to him, he hatched a plot to have all Jews killed. To make a longer story short, Esther devised a plan of her own.

In the meantime, the king had trouble sleeping one night. Another coincidence? Not so. He “gave orders to bring the book of memorable deeds, the chronicles, and they were read before the king. And it was found written how Mordecai had told about Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king’s eunuchs, who guarded the threshold, and who had sought to lay hands on King Ahasuerus. And the king said, ‘What honor or distinction has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?’”

No honor had been so this pagan king honored Mordecai. The bottom line? Because of two odd events, an overheard conversation and a sleepless night, God gave Esther what she needed to save her people from destruction.

The practical application for my faith is easy — don’t sweat about whatever life hands me. God isn’t idle and His plans include every detail. Some are mere tests that give me opportunity to obey Him and act like Jesus. Some show me where my character needs work. Some are like this story because they are linked together as part of a ‘plot’ that God is setting up to bring a blessing.

I cannot always figure it out but assuming God is in everything makes live an adventure. It changes how I think about interruptions. It is helping me with the normal questions of grief — such as ‘why now?’ It keeps my eyes and thoughts on the power of God. The news is full of tragic events and while I cannot (and should not) suppose I know what God is doing with those events, just knowing that He is at work produces peace in my heart . . . most of the time!

Lord, I believe . . . erase my fears and doubts and help my unbelief. Keep reinforcing the truth — there are no coincidences because You are in charge!


No comments: