January 2, 2020

Saying just the right words . . .

Genesis 2; Matthew 2; Ezra 2; Acts 2

People who live in the north have several words for ‘snow’ depending on who did the research. However, the New Testament DOES use at least two Greek terms for “word” — one being “logos” which is a large concept about knowledge and about Jesus. The other is “rhema” which is more intimate and personal. Some define it as “God speaking to the need of the moment.”


In reading Acts 2, I notice that Peter used “rhema” as he spoke to the Jews after a mixed crowd had gathered to hear the disciples speaking in various languages that they could understand.

But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words (rhema). (Acts 2:14)

While this could simply refer to literally speaking in a language they could understand, in context it seems to refer to the message Peter he gave to the Jews who were listening. They spoke the same language as Peter so he didn’t need to speak in a different language; they just needed to understand what he was telling them. Since Peter was “filled with the Spirit” (verse 4), it seems he was telling them specifically what they needed to hear from God. This included:

“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it . . .  Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing . . .  Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” (Acts 2:22-24; 33; 36)

My thoughts are confirmed by the results. From my experience, just reading the Bible is not as vital as hearing “rhema” for a direct and personal word from God changes my life. Sometimes those words are strong and direct, even hard to hear. In this case, Peter’s rhema changed these listeners . . .

Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit . . . So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls. (Acts 2:37–38; 41)

Oh my, this is significant for practical faith. First, I need to be filled with God’s Spirit. I also realize that when I speak, my words can change lives — if they are the words God gives me to speak. Again I am convinced that when I am with other people, it is important to pay attention, to listen and open my mouth with wisdom, saying the words the Lord gives me to say. Jesus, this is fodder for prayer. Give me ears to hear You and speak as You desire from me.

NOTE: This was a strange day. Concerns for my sister are still with me, but when my hubby was having breakfast, he said he felt nauseous, sat on the sofa and came within a hair of passing out. I was calling him to stay with me and dialing 911 at the same time. The ambulance came quickly. How scary to have 3 EMTs and 4 firemen in our small living room. Hubby spent the day in ER without further incident and without finding out what happened to cause it. The paramedic said only that his pulse was different in each arm indicating a heart issue. The doctors and the hospital did many tests and could not find anything unusual. He is home and we are both very tired.


1 comment:

Darrell said...

I am praying for you and your husband. That must have been scary! Been there, done that, with heart issues and multiple sclerosis! We're all in this ugly world together. Fight the fight and stay on your knees!