January 6, 2020

Four well-aimed thoughts . . .


Genesis 6; Matthew 6; Ezra 6; Acts 6

Those who mock the Bible as a dusty old and irrelevant book don’t know what they are missing. I’ve been reading it for decades, asking God each day to give me what I need to hear. Each day He proves to me the truth that: “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

Today is no exception. My devotional guide offers four chapters to read and each one of them gave me one item from the above list. First, Genesis reveals the expanding results of sin and God’s response to it . . .

When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the Lord said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord. (Genesis 6:1–8)

I’ve wondered who these sons of god were until realizing god should not be capitalized. In context, these were powerful men, made so by the pagan god, and no matter what that god might be, Satan backed it. This enemy was doing what he could to cause resistance to God and the result was sin so rampant that God regretted creating human beings. Serious stuff. However, one man was God-inclined and we know the story; he and his family were saved from a flood that destroyed all other people. I’m reminded to watch my own life. Even one sin can have terrible ramifications.

Ezra points to God’s mercy. The work on the temple had been halted by an Assyrian king, but God had given a prior king the heart to allow His people to rebuild it. They did the work then kept the Passover as instructed. The priests purified themselves, offered the sacrifice and “It was eaten by the people of Israel who had returned from exile, and also by every one who had joined them and separated himself from the uncleanness of the peoples of the land to worship the Lord, the God of Israel. And they kept the Feast of Unleavened Bread seven days with joy, for the Lord had made them joyful and had turned the heart of the king of Assyria to them, so that he aided them in the work of the house of God, the God of Israel.” (Ezra 6:19–22)

Matthew gave me a rebuke by reminding me how I sometimes feel pride in my heart over silly things, like I know the words of a hymn without needed to look at the overhead, or that I am praying or doing something that pleases God and hope that others notice. Today, He says this to me:

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 6:1)

Reading Acts is like a sidebar. My reaction to it also hints at pride instead of humility. The early church had a problem with taking care of hungry widows . . .  

And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” (Acts 6:2–4)

At first, I’m thinking preaching is more important than serving tables, but the qualifications are the same for both tasks. God says the body of Christ has no parts more important than others. I must not put anyone on a pedestal for any reason. This is pride in status.

God speaks. I need to be alert, to pay attention to any “hidden” attitudes that eventually show up in how I treat others. Look what one bite of fruit did to the world. Remember the mercy of God as He rebuilds His temple — which is now the hearts of His people. I’m to serve them in love, without pride or disrespecting anyone, focusing on how He wants to change me.


No comments: