January 27, 2020

Faith is . . .


Genesis 28; Esther 4; Matthew 27; Acts 27

The Bible says that faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1) It is simply knowing something God will do without any visible proof of it. It is a gift from God that mere human ‘hope so’ cannot conjure up or assume. When God gives it, thoughts like “this is impossible” float around, but deep within, faith knows and is totally convicted of the reality, even without knowing what that will look like.

In Genesis, Jacob has been a schemer, but is beginning to show some faith. He has a dream where the promise of blessing to Abraham, Isaac is repeated. Then he makes a vow. At first this looks like Jacob is testing God yet it fits with the theological reality that sinners cannot worship and obey God without God first blessing and enabling them. Faith comes by hearing God speak. Jacob is asking God to do something so that he can trust Him fully:

Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father’s house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God’s house. And of all that you give me I will give a full tenth to you.” (Genesis 28:20–22)

Mordecai’s faith was stronger. While God’s name is not mentioned, this man knew that no matter what Esther did, the new law to kill all Jews would not be successful. His people would be rescued because God’s promises ensured their continuance. He told Esther to go to the king and plead for favor for her people. She replied the danger of going to this pagan king without being asked. However, Mordecai replied, “Do not think to yourself that in the king’s palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?”

His faith was certain about their survival. Esther rose to the challenge and in faith responded, “Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.” (Esther 4:11–16) She had the assurance of faith to the point of being willing to die to try and save her people.

This also points to Jesus. He was arrested and taunted . . .

And those who passed by derided him, wagging their heads and saying, “You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross.” So also the chief priests, with the scribes and elders, mocked him, saying, “He saved others; he cannot save himself. He is the King of Israel; let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him. He trusts in God; let God deliver him now, if he desires him. For he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’ ” And the robbers who were crucified with him also reviled him in the same way. (Matthew 27:39–44)

In the face of this and the torture of crucifixion, Jesus was also willing to die. He “cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit” (Matthew 27:50). He knew, by faith, there was joy set before Him so He “endured the cross, despising the shame” and is now “seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Hebrews 12:2)

That conviction of things unseen also rescued Paul from death. He was a prisoner aboard a ship that was doomed by a storm, yet he told the others: “Men, you should have listened to me and not have set sail from Crete and incurred this injury and loss. Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you, but only of the ship. For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.’ So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told.” (Acts 27:21–25)

For me, the challenge is two-fold regarding my sister’s memorial service. I know that God can do anything. I struggle to leave the ‘anything’ up to Him knowing that I have no business telling Him what to do. Yet Jacob did. Yet Mordecai knew. And Jesus yielded saying, “Not my will, but thine be done.” Grief demands that I feel sorry for myself. Faith affirms that I pray God’s will be done, no matter what. These days combine tears with spiritual war, plus a physical issue (nose bleeds) plus a host of other things — and all of it pushes me to think that somehow in all this there is joy set before us as well.




No comments: